In this SharePoint Online tutorial, we will discuss on SharePoint Online Events web part.
We will see about the SharePoint events web part and using this events web part we can create an event and display the upcoming events to the users. We will also learn how to enable the audience targeting for a particular event in the Modern SharePoint events web part. The example we are doing here is based on a SharePoint Online environment.
- In the modern SharePoint site, Microsoft provides a lot of out-of-box web parts to work with modern site pages. One of the popular web parts is the Events web part.
- The SharePoint Events web part, allows us to effortlessly show upcoming events or occasions on our SharePoint site page.
- Using the SharePoint Events web part we can show event details to the users. So that the user will get enough information regarding that Event.
- And the default view is a filmstrip-style view of upcoming events.
Let us see how we add an events web part to the modern SharePoint site,
- Open the SharePoint site page -> Select the Edit Page option -> Choose + circled icon then add a new Section and add the Events web part.
- Once the Events web part is added you can edit the events web part by selecting the web part edit icon.
- As shown below, on the right side of the property panel you can edit source, event list, category, Data range, etc.,
Below explained are the different events in the modern SharePoint Event web part,
- Get a source for the Events from the All sites, This site, Select sites or events list on this site.
- If you are selecting the Event list on this site as an Event Source, then we can add the Event list.
- We can select the Select sites option to get the source from the current site, Recent sites, Frequent sites, and one or more sites.
- You can search for the site that you want to add. We can able to view the selected sites count. The maximum number of sites that we can add is 30.
2. Events list
- You will only see the Event list option when you select the Source as Events list on the site.
- If there is more of an events list on the site, then we can select the event which we want to display.
- If there is no event list, by default it creates an event list.
- Enter a Category name to filter events.
- we can choose by filtering the events by the event name.
4. Data range
- We can also filter the events by date range.
- The Default one is it displays the upcoming events, we can also choose This month, the Next two weeks, and This Week.
There are two types of layouts available in the SharePoint Events web part, such that FlimStrips and Compact layout.
- The default layout is Filmstrips for a team site, a communication site.
- If the web part is in a 1/3 area of a page section, then it will automatically use the Compact layout.
These are the different events available in the modern SharePoint Event Web part.
Let us see how can we add an event to the modern SharePoint page,
- In edit mode, we cannot add events. Only on the Published page are we can able to add the events.
- We can add an image and titles for the event.
- Select the event date and times in the When section.
- Enter the event location or address in the Where section, we also have an option to add a map.
- Enter the event meeting link in the link section to join an online meeting. If there is no online meeting, you can leave this empty, and the link section will not appear in the Event.
- You cannot add a Display name without adding a meeting address, While saving an event you will get an error message.
- Select a Category such as Holiday, Meeting, Business, Work hours, and so on. we can also filter the events by category.
- In the About this event area, we can add a description of the event.
- You can highlight the speakers or special guests for this event. we can add the guest user names in the event Participants section. We can able to add only the users within the organization.
- Click Save. Your event will be added to the SharePoint site page.
This is how we can add an event in SharePoint online.
Let us see how we can edit an event in the modern SharePoint Events web part,
- Once you’ve saved the event, you can edit it on the event page.
- Select See all in the right-hand corner of the Events web part to navigate to the event page.
- Select the event which you want to edit and now select the Edit option at the top right of the event page.
- Select Save to commit your changes.
This is how we can edit an event in the modern SharePoint Events web part.
Let us discuss the audience targeting in the SharePoint Online event web part,
- Audience targeting is useful when you want to share information that is relevant only to a particular group of people.
- You can present information to specific groups of people by using audience targeting. For example, you can create an event for a specific project for particular team members.
- If you’ve selected an audience group that you recently created or changed, it may take some time to see targeting applied for that group.
Follow the below steps to enable event web part audience targeting:
- Open the SharePoint site page and select Site contents.
- In the site contents page, select Events click on the ellipses, and select Settings as shown below:
- From the Events settings list, Choose the Audience targeting settings.
- Now check the enable the audience targeting settings then select OK.
- Edit an event where you can enter up to 50 audiences in the Audience section. Then click Save.
Follow the below steps to enable events to web part audience targeting in the Events web part:
If we apply audience targeting in the events web part, only the targeted users can view the upcoming events. If we didn’t apply audience targeting in the events web part, every user can view the events on the SharePoint page.
- Select Edit Page SharePoint site page and click the Edit web part on the left side of the Events web part.
- In the property pane, turn the toggle control to ON and enable the audience targeting.
This is how we can enable events to web part audience targeting for the events web part in SharePoint
Let us see how can we enable event images in an event web part in SharePoint Online,
- To display events images, we have to enable the toggle control to turn on, if we don’t want to display it we can turn off the toggle control.
- When the option is on, each Event shown in the web part will display the image used in the title area of the Event page.
Follow the below steps to Event images in the Events web part
- Select the Edit Page of the SharePoint site page and click the Edit web part on the left side of the Events web part.
- Enable Show event images to toggle to ON in the property pane slide.
This is how we can enable the event images in modern SharePoint.
Let’s see how we can change the default event image, in modern SharePoint.
For example, the current Events first web part looks like without image when added to SharePoint online modern pages:
- Select the event which you want to edit and now select the Edit option on the event page.
- Select the Change Image option and add the image which you want to add.
- Either you can upload an image or you can select images from the Stock images and then click on the Insert button as shown below.
- Click the save button to commit your changes.
This is how we can change events web part images in SharePoint online.
Let’s see how we can remove and reset to the default image in the modern SharePoint events web part,
- Select the event which you want to edit and then click on the Edit option of the event page.
- Select the Remove Image option to remove the image from the events.
- Select the Reset to default Image option to reset it into the default image in the events.
- Click Save to commit your changes.
This is how we can remove and reset the event images in modern SharePoint.
There is no option to change the default color of the Event web part color in SharePoint modern pages.
- We cannot change the default colors of the events web part in SharePoint modern pages.
To achieve this we have to use the custom code. We can use SharePoint Online Management Shell to inject the style for the modern pages.
Let us discuss how we can show the Upcoming events in the modern SharePoint using the Event web part.
- Select the Edit Page of the SharePoint site page, and click the Edit web part on the Events web part.
- On the right side of the Event property pane, Under the Date range select the All Upcoming Events option.
- Click Republish to commit your changes.
- Now you can see the Upcoming Events on your modern SharePoint site page.
This is how we can show the Upcoming events in SharePoint online using the Event web part.
In the modern SharePoint, Time zone mismatches between Calendar and Events web part. To overcome this, we have to set the proper Time Zone for the SharePoint users.
We can set the Time Zone for the user in the Regional Settings of the SharePoint site settings page.
The SharePoint regional setting maintains the time zone in the SharePoint site and for every user, it manages the default time which is controlled by the SharePoint Administrator.
You should have admin permission to change the regional settings for a SharePoint site. Follow the below steps,
- Open the SharePoint site -> Select the settings gear Icon -> pick Site Information -> Click view all site settings.
- Under the SharePoint Site Administration, select Regional settings.
- Set the Time Zone for this site on the Regional Settings page and then click on the OK button.
This is how we can overcome the Time zone mismatches between the Calendar and the modern SharePoint Events web part.
There is no option to show the recurring events in the Modern SharePoint web part.
- Once the event is created in the Sharepoint modern event web part, it will be added to the Event list of the SharePoint site page.
- Select the Events in the SharePoint Site contents.
- Select the event for which you what to edit, and click the Edit Event option.
- Once edited click on the save.
- Now open the Edit event web part of the modern SharePoint site page.
- Select the Source option as This site and then click Republish.
- You can find the event is added to the modern SharePoint site page.
You cannot edit the recurring event in the modern SharePoint site page as shown below:
Let us see how can we filter multiple categories for the SharePoint Online modern Events web part.
Create a new event, in the custom category field, we can mention the category name as per the scenario. In this example I mentioned the category name as Test Event, as shown below:
It has been automatically saved by SharePoint, and you can continue to use this category when you create an event next time, it will be automatically displayed.
You can filter a Category value of your choice that is not one apart from the default listed values.
The selected category displays the event in the event web part as shown below:
This is how to create and filter multiple categories for the Events web part in modern SharePoint.
Related SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint column formatting examples
- SharePoint jslink Examples
- Create a SharePoint list view
- How to hide document library in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online calendar web part
- How to Change SharePoint Site Logo
- SharePoint Online List Web Part
In this SharePoint tutorial, we learned SharePoint Online modern Events web part, what is SharePoint Events web part and how to create an Event web part for the SharePoint Online modern site page. And also covered below topics:
- Different Events in Modern SharePoint Event Web part
- How to Add an event in the modern SharePoint
- How to Edit an event in the modern SharePoint
- Audience targeting in SharePoint online Events web part
- Modern SharePoint Event images in the events web part
- How to Change the events web part images in modern SharePoint
- How to remove and reset the events web part images in SharePoint Online
- Event web part color in modern SharePoint
- Upcoming Events web part in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint online event web part time zone
- SharePoint online Event web part not showing recurring events
- SharePoint events web part multiple categories
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Out audiences are from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a SharePoint MVP(8 times), check out My MVP Profile. I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.