In this SharePoint Online tutorial, we will discuss on SharePoint Online Planner Web Part.
We will see, the SharePoint Planner web part and how to add and create the Plans using the Planner web part to our SharePoint modern site page and we will see a few examples based on the modern SharePoint online environment.
In SharePoint server 2019, the SharePoint Planner web part is not available.
- Microsoft provides a lot of out-of-box web parts one of the web parts is the Planner web part which allows us to create plans, organize and assign team tasks on the team sites for different users.
- We can set priorities for the task assigned, users can check updates, and also mark the status of the task as completed, Not started, and In progress.
- Easily we can track the status of the task in the modern SharePoint planner web part.
- The Planner web part is available only on group-connected team sites.
- The Planner web part is not available on Communication sites or on any sites in SharePoint Server 2019.
Now, let us see how to create a plan to add the plan in the Planner web part to a modern SharePoint Online site.
- Open the SharePoint site Home page, select +New, and click on the Plan.
- Enter a name for the Plan and Click Create.
- The plan will be created, and accessible to the SharePoint site members. We can also access the created plan through the Office 365 Planner app.
- When we add new members to the SharePoint site, it automatically grants permission to access the created Plan.
In the below screenshot, we can see the Team Tasks plan is created where we can assign tasks to the team members.
This is how we can create a plan in the modern SharePoint site. Let us see how we can add and configure the created plan in the Planner web part in modern SharePoint as follows,
Now, let us see how can we add and integrate the Planner web part to the modern SharePoint.
- Open the SharePoint site page where you want to add Planner web parts to the SharePoint modern site page.
- Select Edit Page at the top right of the SharePoint site page.
- Click + circled icon then add a new Section layout.
- In the search box, enter Planner and select the Planner web part.
In the below screenshot, we can see the planner is added. In addition, we can change the title of the Planner web part. We can add tasks and add a new bucket in the modern SharePoint planner web part.
This is how we can add and integrate the Planner web part to the modern SharePoint.
Let us see how we can edit and configure the Planner web part in modern SharePoint.
- Click on the Edit web part properties icon in the Planner web part, it will open the Planner web part properties panel as shown below:
- Either we can select the existing plan or we create a new plan by selecting the +Add a new plan option.
- In the Display option, we can select the chart option that is to be displayed in the Planner web part.
In this example, I going to choose the existing plan Team Tasks which I created, and also we will see how to assign tasks for the team members.
- Now we can Team Tasks plan is added to the Modern SharePoint Planner web part, Now Select + Add task to assign new tasks, you can directly add tasks on the task Planner to the Published Planner web part.
- Select Republish to commit your changes.
In the below screenshot, we can see the assigned task for the team site members.
We can select the assigned tasks like start date, end date progress, and priority, as shown below:
We can easily add labels and attachments for the assigned tasks in the modern SharePoint planner web part as shown below:
We can easily edit and mark the status of the task in the modern SharePoint planner web part.
We can easily change the Priority of the task in the modern SharePoint planner web part.
Once the task is completed, we can edit the assigned task, and put it in the published Teams bucket task items.
Using the filter option, we can filter the Assigned tasks it sorts out the assigned tasks based on the filter we apply like below:
In the same manner, we can filter based on labels, Assigned to, Task priority, Task progress using Group by option like below:
This is how we can edit and configure the Planner web part in modern SharePoint.
Let us discuss the modern SharePoint planner web part display,
In the edit mode of the Planner web part, we can choose the way that we want to display the Planner web part in modern SharePoint. Below mentioned options are available under the Display options in the SharePoint online Planner web part. They are,
- Charts (all)
- Status chart
- Member chart
- Bucket chart
- Priority chart
If we select the Board option under Display, then the planner web part in the modern SharePoint site looks like the below.
The planner web part looks as shown below, only when we select the Chart all option under Display which displays Status, Bucket, Priority, and Members.
If we want to display only the status of the Assigned tasks, then we can select the Status Chart under Display which displays Not started, In progress, Late, and Completed.
If we want to display only the members, then we can select the Member Chart under Display which displays the members of the SharePoint site.
The planner web part looks like below mentioned screenshot, only when we select the Bucket chart option under Display to display the bucket items.
If we want to display based on the Priority of the Assigned tasks, then we can select the Priority Chart under Display like Urgent, Important, Medium, and Low.
These are the different ways that we can display the Planner web part in the modern SharePoint site.
No, Planner Web part is not available on the Modern SharePoint Communication site.
- We cannot create a planner on the SharePoint online Communication site. It is also not available in the SharePoint server 2019.
- The Planner web part is available only on the Modern SharePoint Team Site.
Add planner to Microsoft teams
Now let us see how we can add a planner to Microsoft Teams, Yes it is possible to display the planner in Microsoft Teams.
Follow the below steps to achieve this:
- Open the Microsoft Teams, Select the Team where you want to add Planner.
- Now Click on the + icon to add a tab.
- Search for Tasks by Planner and Todo and select that option from the apps.
- Then, select the existing plan from this team option, it will display the planner from the SharePoint Online site.
- Select the Planner from the dropdown that you want to add to the Microsoft Teams.
- Click on the Save button. It will take a few minutes to set up the planner in Teams.
Now, In the below screenshot, we can see that the Planner is added to our Microsoft Teams.
This is how we can add and display the planner to our Microsoft Teams.
Let us discuss how we can see the assigned task in a Planner Calendar view,
Yes, it is possible to see the assigned task in the Planner calendar view. There are two ways that we can view the Planner calendar, They are,
- Microsoft Teams Schedule Planner calendar
- Planner Schedule calendar view
Microsoft Teams Schedule Planner calendar
- Once you added the Planner to Microsoft teams, we can see the option called schedule.
- Click on the schedule to view the Planner calendar.
This is one way that we can see the planner calendar view.
Planner Schedule calendar view
- Login to Microsoft Office365 using your SharePoint credentials -> Select Office365 App Launcher and then click on the Planner.
Select the Planner, we can see the option called schedule. Click on the schedule to view the Planner calendar as shown below:
These are the two ways that we can see the Planner calendar view in modern SharePoint.
- For some users, there is an issue, when they add the Planner web part they could not able to view the existing plans in the Planner web part SharePoint online.
- To overcome this issue, make sure you have created a plan on the current SharePoint site, only then it will display the existing plans in the modern SharePoint planner web part.
- The planner’s web part will display the existing plans only when we create plans on the current SharePoint site.
- For example, if we have two SharePoint team sites ‘Teamsite1’ and ‘Teamsite2’. We have created a plan for the Teamsite1, and are able to see the existing plan. But when we switch to the Teamsite2 we cannot see the existing plans, again we have to create a new plan separately for the Teamsite2 so that it will show under existing plans in the modern SharePoint planner web part.
- We can also try deleting the previously added Planner web part and recreate a new Planner web part on the modern SharePoint site page.
Let us discuss the permissions with the modern SharePoint planner web part,
No, there is no way to restrict permissions in the modern SharePoint planner web part.
- In the SharePoint online planner web part, we cannot restrict members of the plan, that they cannot create buckets or they cannot move or reorder the assigned tasks in a different way.
- If we create a plan in a Pubic mode or Private mode, the SharePoint site member has permission to edit the assigned tasks.
- If the users have a SharePoint site owner or SharePoint site member permission they can add a new bucket they can add new tasks and move the assigned tasks to a different bucket. We cannot restrict this permission for the SharePoint site members.
Let us see how we can copy the planner web part to a modern SharePoint site page,
Duplicate web part option in the toolbox. This will automatically make a duplicate copy of the Planner web part in the Modern SharePoint site.
This is how to make a copy of the planner web part on the modern SharePoint site.
Related SharePoint web part articles:
In this SharePoint tutorial, we have learned SharePoint online Planner web part, how to add the Planner web part to the SharePoint modern page, and also covered the below-mentioned topics:
- How to create a plan in SharePoint online
- Configure Planner web part in SharePoint online
- Modern SharePoint Planner web part Display
- Planner web part communication site in SharePoint online
- Add planner to Microsoft teams
- Modern SharePoint Planner calendar
- Planner web part not showing existing plans in Modern SharePoint
- Modern SharePoint Planner permissions
- Modern Sharepoint Planner web part copy
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Out audiences are from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a SharePoint MVP(8 times), check out My MVP Profile. I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.