In this SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss the new SharePoint Online location column. We will see how to add a location column in the SharePoint Online list or document library.
Microsoft announced about the location column at Microsoft Ignite 2018. The column is available to use in both lists and libraries in SharePoint Online.
Microsoft added a new location column as the data type in list and libraries.
SharePoint location column allows us to add location data from Bing map or from your organization directory to any SharePoint online list or document library.
SharePoint location column contains fields such as Street address, city, state, country or religion, postal code, coordinates, and Name.
In the list view, we can also sort, filter, or even search with the location data such as address, city, street, state, etc.
The location column is available in modern lists or libraries in SharePoint online.
The location column is available in both SharePoint Online lists and libraries. Here, we will see how to add a location column to a SharePoint list, you can also follow the same approach to add a location column to a document library.
To add the location column to the SharePoint Online list, follow the below steps:
- Open your SharePoint Online list.
- Click on Add column and then choose Location as the data type like below:
- Provide a Name for the Column, optional description, and also in Show linked columns in the current view choose additional information to show as Street Address, city, state, country or region, coordinates, etc.
- Then click on Save.
Once you click on Save the Location column will be added to the SharePoint list. You will be able to see, the Address column with the additional attributes like Street, City, State, etc.
- Click on New to add the item in the SharePoint list and give location in the Location text box. Click on Save.
Once you add the list item, you can see, from the location column, it displays fields like Street, City, and State like below:
This is how we can use SharePoint Online list location column.
Edit Location Column to add additional attributes
In the above listview, you can see, it displays the Street, City and State attributes from the Location column. Now, what will happen, if you want to display additional attributes like, Country or Region, Postal code, etc?
For this we need to edit the location column like below:
Click on the Address column and then click on Column settings -> Edit.
Then it will show you the Edit column dialog box, where you can check the checkboxes for the additional attributes you want to display.
As you can see I have checked the Country/Region and Postal Code attributes.
Then click on the Save button.
Now, you can see the additional attributes like below:
This is how we can add additional attributes into the location column in the SharePoint Online list or document library.
You may like the following SharePoint list tutorials:
- How to create a calculated column in SharePoint List or Library
- Insert and Retrieve items to SharePoint Online list using Rest API
- Microsoft Flow Example Save tweets that include specific hashtag to a SharePoint list
- Redirect to a different page after adding new list items in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- How to delete a list in SharePoint using PowerShell
In this tutorial, we learned about the location column in the SharePoint Online list and how to add a location column in the SharePoint list.
In the same way, we can also use the location column in SharePoint document library.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com