Free SharePoint Migration Tool from Microsoft step by step migration from SharePoint 2016 on premise to SharePoint Online
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
As we all know Microsoft is heavily investing in cloud and encouraging an organization to adopt Office 365 and use SharePoint online. Here is a good news for enterprises who are planning to migrate from SharePoint on-premise versions to SharePoint online. Microsoft comes up with a new free “SharePoint Migration tool“. Not only from on-premise to online but also this tool will help to migrate from File Share to SharePoint online or One drive and from CSV file option for bulk migration. I have also created a video tutorial on the SharePoint Migration Tool.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
- SharePoint Migration tool has a very user-friendly simple user interface.
- It supports migration from the Share folder, SharePoint on-premise and CSV file for batch migration. Read: Migrate files or documents from File Shares to SharePoint Online document library Using FREE Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool
- SharePoint Migration tool helps to migrate files from SharePoint on-premises document libraries or your on-premises file shares and easily move them to either SharePoint or OneDrive in Office 365.
- Support smallest migrations to large scale migration also.
- Provide a handy report for existing and completed migrations and task reports to help identify and resolve issues that may have occurred during the migration process.
Microsoft also comes up with a simple command line tool known as “SharePoint Migration Assessment Tool (SMAT)” that will scan the contents of your SharePoint farm to help identify any issues with data you plan to migrate to SharePoint Online. The tool will run in the background and it will not impact any production environment also.
The tool requires one to two days to complete a scan of your environment. During this time, the tool will report progress in the console window. After the scan is complete, you can find output files in the Logs directory.
You can download the tool from below URL:
Once you download double click on the Manifest file to install it, you can see the installation progress.
Once it successfully installed, it will open like this.
Before proceeding further make sure you will have an Office 365 credentials ready with you. Because the tool will prompt for your Office 365 username and password.
If you are selecting the SharePoint on-premises option, you will be asked to enter the name of the SharePoint Server site where your files are located and prompted for your credentials for that site. You will choose what document library you wish to migrate.
Microsoft is saying the tool supported for SharePoint 2013 on-premise version, but I have tried migrating from SharePoint 2016 on-premise version and it worked (have just migrated few documents).
Here I have a SharePoint 2016 on-premise document library which has few documents like below:
We will try to migrate those documents to a SharePoint online document library by using the Microsoft Free Migration Tool.
Once you will open the tool click on Next where it will ask you to Sign in to your O365 Account. Then click on SIgn in.
Then it will show the “Where is your data?” dialog box. select SharePointt on-premises.
In the next screen, it will ask What site do you want to migrate? Here it will show the SharePoint 2013 site URL, but I have given a SharePoint 2016 site URL and it worked.
Then it will ask you to provide the credentials to connect to the SharePoint on-premise site. I have provided my windows credentials here.
Once you click on Sign in, it will ask you to choose the on-premise document library and to provide the SharePoint online site URL. Once you will provide the online site URL, it will populate all the lists and document libraries like below:
After selection of the destination document library, click on Add. It will add the task like below.
Now click on the Migrate button.
Then it will show the Migration Status like below, it will check the environment like below:
Then it will start the migration, you can see it is showing 3 files out of 4 migrated like below:
Once the migration is complete it will show the Migration complete message like below:
You can also click to see the Report which will open the files like below:
Now you can open the SharePoint online destination document library, you can see the documents successfully migrated to there like below:
Read few SharePoint Migration Tutorials:
- Lotus Notes to SharePoint Migration-Your FAQs Answered
- Lotus Notes to SharePoint Migration Blog
- SharePoint 2013 migration issues File not found and 404 not found issue
- SharePoint Online Migration: A blessing to all small and medium organizations
- Office 365 SharePoint Easy Migration Part 2
- Migration from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 challenges tips to know
This SharePoint migration tutorial, I explained about the new free migration tool from Microsoft known as “SharePoint Migration Tool”. What are the features of SharePoint Migration tool? How we can download and install the SharePoint Migration tool.
Finally, I also showed you how we can migrate documents from SharePoint 2016 to SharePoint Online document library using SharePoint Migration Tool?
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)