In SharePoint 2013, Blank site template in missing and we can not create a blank site in SharePoint 2013. But there are different ways we can enable blank site template in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019. We can enable blank site template using PowerShell as well by modifying in the WEBTEMP.XML file.
In SharePoint 2010 when we want to create a blank Site/ subsite it is possible to choose blank site templates. But in SharePoint 2013 blank site template is not displayed in the selection the blank site template is not visible in SharePoint, because its “Hidden” property is set to true, there is two ways configuration to be made to make blank site template to be available for selection.
Below are the two ways we can enable blank site template in SharePoint 2013:
- Modifying Server Files
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Here we will see how can we enable blank site template in SharePoint 2013 by modifying in the WEBTEMP.XML file.
Browse to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\1033\XML* Edit file: WEBTEMP.XML
- Locate this line of code: <Configuration ID=”1″ Title=”Blank Site” Hidden=”TRUE”
- Change Hidden=”TRUE” to Hidden=”FALSE”
If you open SharePoint 2013 central administration and click on “Create site collection” under Application Management, by default you will not be able to see “Blank Site” template under the Collaboration category.
There are two ways we can enable blank site template in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019.
1. Run the command Get-SPWebTemplate to get the full list of the available templates. You can see, the Blank Site template is still there, and it’s ID is STS#1:
The complete script would be
$s = Get-SPSite “<URL of your Site Collection>”
$template = Get-SPWebTemplate “STS#1”
New-SPSite -Url $s -OwnerAlias “<domain\user>” -Template $template
The easiest way to permanently add blank site template is through the server files.
“C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\1033\XML\WEBTEMP.XML”
<Configuration ID=”1″ Title=”Blank Site” Hidden=”TRUE” ImageUrl=”/_layouts/15/images/stbs.png?rev=23″ Description=”A blank site for you to customize based on your requirements.” DisplayCategory=”Collaboration” AllowGlobalFeatureAssociations=”False” > </Configuration>
Change the highlighted tag the Hidden=true to false and you’re good to go.
Now you can see “Blank Site” template option under Collaboration tab like above.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint 2019 modern Team site template missing while creating subsites
- How to retrieve all site templates available in SharePoint Online using PowerShell?
- Retrieve all site templates using PowerShell and server object model in SharePoint 2016/2013
- Activate Group Work Site Template in SharePoint 2013
- Differences between site definition and site template in SharePoint 2010
- Identify Site Template Id used in SharePoint 2010 site
- Enable Save as Template option Publishing Site SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online Team site Vs Communication site
- SharePoint Create Subsite with Unique Permissions in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
Hope this SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains how to enable blank site template in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019.
Solutions. I am currently working on Sharepoint 2010, MOSS 2007, Sharepoint 2013,Sharepoint 2013 App Dev, C#, ASP.NET, and SQL Server 2008.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.