This SharePoint customization tutorial, we will explore, how to create page templates in SharePoint Online modern experience. The page template we can reuse later to create other pages by using the same page template in SharePoint Online.
We will also see, how to edit a page template delete a page template in SharePoint Online.
- You should be a SharePoint site owner or you should have edit permissions on the SharePoint Online site to add pages or to save page as a template.
- SharePoint Online Page templates cannot be used across sites or Office 365 groups at this time.
There are two ways to create a page template in SharePoint Online modern experience.
- Create a modern page (choose any template type, for e.g. News, Page),
- Another way is to choose any page from the Template gallery and use it as a starting point for your customized template.
A customized SharePoint page template can be reused for adding or modifying any content any time later. Your customized page template anywhere without changing the original template copy and without affecting the template.
Follow the below steps to create a Page template in SharePoint Online modern experience.
I hope you will have an Office 365 subscription and you have created a SharePoint Online modern site. First, navigate to your SharePoint Online modern site.
Click “New” at the top of the page and choose Page or News Post option like below:
If you select Page or News post, then the below screen will appear where you can select a template to start a page from scratch. Then, click on the “Create Page” button like below:
This will create a modern SharePoint page where you can add the content.
You can customize the page, like add the contents, web parts, moving web parts and so on.
You can also use the Save as draft feature, where you can save the changes and later modify before publishing it to for all the users. Once all your changes have been done, you can click on the Publish button to Publish the SharePoint Online modern page.
Once our customized page got ready, we can create a Modern Page Template from that page.
In SharePoint Online, there are two ways to “Save as template” of the modern page. We will see one by one.
- Publish the page you’ll want to use as the basis for your page template.
- Click the Edit button. Click the down arrow next to Save as draft at top of the page and select Save as template
- The published page you want to use as the basis for your page template
- Click on the Promote button and then click Save as page template option
Now you can see your customized template is ready to reuse.
To view or check your newly created SharePoint page template, follow the below path:
Open your modern SharePoint site, go to Site Actions -> Site Content -> Site Pages -> Template folder in the pages library.
You can delete or modify a newly created template from this location.
To edit a SharePoint Online page template, you can open it from the Templates folder in the Pages library and click Edit.
To delete a page template in SharePoint Online, select it from the Templates folder in the Pages library, right-click the template, and click Delete.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint modern list column formatting examples
- Create site page option missing in SharePoint Online modern sites
- SharePoint 2019 modern Team site template missing while creating sub sites
- Communication site in SharePoint Online
- Difference between SharePoint classic and modern experiences in list and library
- Save site as template option missing in SharePoint online
- How to remove/hide default title column from SharePoint Online list
- Customize suite bar in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
Customized templates are good features to reuse the structure of pages in multiple sites or subsites. This gives reusability as well as time savings while creating OOB solutions.
Here, we learned how to create a page template in SharePoint modern sites. Also, we saw how to delete or edit a page template in SharePoint Online.
Solutions. I am currently working on Sharepoint 2010, MOSS 2007, Sharepoint 2013,Sharepoint 2013 App Dev, C#, ASP.NET, and SQL Server 2008.