In this SharePoint Online tutorial, we will discuss everything on SharePoint page templates. I will explain, how to create SharePoint page template.
Specially, we will cover here on SharePoint Online versions.
- sharepoint online save page as template
- create sharepoint page template
- sharepoint create page from template
- sharepoint online page template
Microsoft provides an option where we can save a well-designed SharePoint page as a template in a SharePoint Online site. And we can use that template to create pages easily with the same design. These are known as SharePoint page templates.
Let us see, you can create a page having a few SharePoint web parts in it. And if you want to create multiple pages with the same design, then we do not need to recreate it. You can save a page as a template in SharePoint and you can use the same template to create multiple pages in the same SharePoint Online site.
We can also easily modify the page that we have created using the SharePoint template.
The page template will be available in the SharePoint template gallery. The location is like below:
https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<SiteName>/SitePages/Templates Example: https://tsinfotechnologies.sharepoint.com/sites/EnjoySharePoint/SitePages/Templates
- You should be a SharePoint site owner or you should have edit permissions on the SharePoint Online site to add pages or to save page as a template.
- SharePoint Online Page templates cannot be used across sites or Office 365 groups at this time. It will only be available in the same SharePoint site where you have created it.
- We cannot create page template from the home page in SharePoint online.
SharePoint provides 3 default page templates in a modern SharePoint site when you will try to create a page. And they are:
- Blank: Just a blank page
- Visual: Have some images, text, with tabular format, etc.
- Basic Text: It will have text, links in tabular formats.
Note: If you have any SharePoint Online custom page templates created before, you can see that template on the same page.
You can see like below:
Let us now discuss how to create a page template in SharePoint Online.
Follow the below steps to create a Page Template:
- Go to the Home page of your SharePoint site, click on the + New, select Page from the drop-down control .
- To create your Page template, select Blank and then click on the Create page.
- Once your page is created, you can add and remove web parts, images, contents, as per the requirements.
- For example, If we are going to use the same template for 10 pages, we can easily use the Save as template option instead of recreating the same template for all the pages.
- Click on the Save as draft and select Save as template from the drop-down menu.
- Select Publish at the top right corner of the screen.
- Once Published, Select Save as page Template option.
- Click on the Save page template at the top right corner of the screen. And the page template will be added to your SharePoint site.
- Once you’ve saved your template, it will appear in the Templates pane under Saved on your site.
- Template pages are not published; only the pages created from the templates can be published.
- Once the page is created, we can make any changes to that page without affecting the template.
This is how you can create a page template in SharePoint.
Let us see how to create a page from a SharePoint page template.
Let us see how we can view the created custom Page Template in the Modern SharePoint site,
There are two ways that we can view the Page templates on the SharePoint site. They are,
- Directly, we can view the template in a Template gallery
- We can view a template from the Templates folder in the SharePoint site Pages library
View template in a Template gallery
- To view the SharePoint page template, go to the Home page of your SharePoint site, click on the +New, and select page.
The below screenshot shows that a recently created template is viewed on the template gallery.
View template in a Template Folder
- Open the SharePoint site contents, select Site pages
- Click on the Templates folder to view the created template.
These are the two ways that we can view page templates in modern SharePoint.
Let us see how we can edit the Custom page template from the template pane in SharePoint online,
Follow the below steps to edit the page template on the SharePoint site,
- Select the template that you want to edit, click on the Kebab menu icon. Select Go to Template option.
- Now click on the Edit Page Template at the top right corner.
- Select the section that you want to edit. For delete, click on the web part that you want to delete and click on the delete.
- To add the web part, click on the circled +, select the web part that you want to add.
- Once you edit your page, click on Save as page template option at the top right corner of the screen.
This is how we can edit a Custom page template in Modern SharePoint.
Let us see how we can delete the created Custom Page Templates in the Modern SharePoint site,
There are two ways that we can delete the Page templates on the SharePoint site. They are,
- Directly, we can delete the template from the template pane
- We can delete a template from the Templates folder in the SharePoint site Pages library.
Delete template in a Template pane
- Select the template that you want to delete, click on the Kebab menu icon. Select Delete from site option.
- In the Confirmation box, Select Ok.
This is one way that we can delete a custom page template from the Template pane.
Delete a template in a Template Folder
- Go to the SharePoint site and Select site contents
- Click on the Site pages
- Select Templates folder.
- Select the page template which you want to delete, Select Delete option.
This is another way to delete the custom page template.
These are the ways that we can remove a custom page template from the SharePoint Modern page.
Set a template as a default selection in the Template pane
Let us see how we can set a template as a default selection in the Template pane in SharePoint online,
- If we didn’t select a different template, the blank template will be used for new page.
- If you prefer to have another template be the default selection, select the vertical ellipses at the bottom of the right of the template you want, and then select Set default selection.
- When we change the default selection in the Template pane, it will be changed for all users on the site.
- In the Confirmation box, Select Ok.
This is how we can set a template as a default selection in the Template pane in Modern SharePoint.
Alternate ways to find, edit and delete custom templates
Let us discuss an alternative way to edit and delete custom page templates,
The alternative way that we can edit and delete custom page templates is by using the Site pages Library.
- Open SharePoint site, click on the + New, select Page from the drop-down control.
- At the bottom of the Template pane that opens, select View templates folder.
- It will redirect to the Templates folder in the SharePoint site pages library, where we can edit and delete the custom page template.
This is another way that we can edit and delete custom page templates in Modern SharePoint.
Related SharePoint Online tutorials:
- SharePoint jslink Examples
- SharePoint modern list view customization example
- Create SharePoint list view
- How to hide document library in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online calendar web part
In this tutorial, we have learned how to create a page template in SharePoint Online and also covered the below topics:
- SharePoint page templates
- sharepoint online save page as template
- Create page template in SharePoint Online
- How to Edit a Page Template in SharePoint site
- How to Delete the Page Template from a SharePoint site
- How to save a sharepoint page as a template
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Out audiences are from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a SharePoint MVP(8 times), check out My MVP Profile. I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.