In this SharePoint Online tutorial, we will discuss on SharePoint Text web part.
We will discuss how to add a SharePoint Text web part to a site page and how to insert images, tables, and hyperlinks in a text web part in SharePoint Online modern site. We will also learn how to use page anchors in the text web part of modern SharePoint.
Examples are based on a SharePoint Online environment, Some features might not be available in SharePoint Server 2019.
- In the modern SharePoint site, Microsoft provides a lot of out-of-box web parts to work with modern site pages. One of the popular web parts is the Text web part.
- Using the text web part we can add normal text, tables, and paragraphs to our SharePoint site page.
- In the text web part, we have various formatting options like bullets, styles, indentations, links, and highlighting are available, where we can highlight the content.
- We can also insert links and add images with inline text in the modern SharePoint text web part.
Let us see how to add a text web part in modern SharePoint,
- Open the SharePoint site page where you want to add the Text web part to the SharePoint modern site page.
- If you’re not in edit mode already, choose Edit Page at the top right of the SharePoint site page.
- Click + circled icon then add a new Section layout.
- In the search box, enter text to quickly find and select the text web part.
- In the below screenshot, you can see the text web part is added, where we can add our text and format it using the formatting toolbar.
- Select the ellipses icon(…) of the text web part and view all the formatting options available in the text web part.
- It displays the text and table formatting on the right side of the text and table formatting pane.
Let us discuss the Text and table formatting pane in the Modern SharePoint text web part.
- You can choose the Font style accordingly as Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikethrough in the modern SharePoint text web part.
- We can add text in the Superscript and subscript format, we also have an option to clear all formatting.
- We can select the font style as heading, normal text, or pull quote and also font size for the text in the modern SharePoint text web part.
- The maximum font size that is available in the text web part is 68.
- We can change font color using standard or theme colors. Theme color will reflect, only when we change to the theme of the SharePoint site.
- And we can also add highlight colors for the texts.
- In the text web part under the Paragraph option, we can align the text to the left, right, center, justify, Increase indent, or Decrease indent.
- And we also have an option to show as Numbered list or Bulleted list.
- In the text web part under the Hyperlink option, we can add a link to the text web part also we can remove a link from the text web part.
- In the text web part under the Table option, Select the Insert table option to insert a table.
This is how we can add the text web part in SharePoint online.
- Line height is fixed and designed for ease of reading and it is set at 140% of the font size.
- After the end of a line, you can press enter to create a new paragraph, and the spacing between the paragraphs is equal to the height of one line.
- The line spacing after headings in SharePoint online text web part is 12 pixels.
Let us see how we can insert an image in the Modern SharePoint text web part,
- Open the SharePoint site page in an edit mode and select the Text web part, where we can insert an image to the text web part is by selecting the Insert image option in the toolbar.
- You can also add an image by copying an image and pasting it into the Text web part.
- Select Browse image to Insert an image from various sources as mentioned below. We also have an option to add a caption and alternative text for the image.
- Recent -> We can view the SharePoint documents, images, and SharePoint pages, which are recently opened we can select and add them to our text web part.
- Stock images -> We can also insert the Stock images to your SharePoint site page.
- Web search-> Insert images to our SharePoint site page from the web search or bing search images.
- One Drive -> Paste a link for a document or image that you have stored on OneDrive.
- Site -> Provide a from a SharePoint Site for pages, documents, and images.
- Upload -> Upload an image, document, or page from a SharePoint Site.
- From a link -> Provide or paste a link from the SharePoint Site for pages, documents, and images.
- Then, select the image within the web part and use the toolbar at the upper left of the image to edit the image, move it, or align it left, right, or center.
- By selecting the handles at each corner of the image we can resize the image.
- When you left- or right-justify an image, ensure the image width is greater than 50% of the column width for best results.
- If it is less than 50% in width, you’ll see white space on either side of the image, and it may not look as if it is left- or -right justified.
- If we want to change the Image in the text web part of modern SharePoint, we can do it by selecting the image and clicking on the edit icon as shown below.
This is how we can add and change the image to the Text web part in SharePoint online.
Let us see how we can insert a hyperlink in the Modern SharePoint text web part,
There are two ways to add a hyperlink into the text web part. One way is using the Hyperlink command on the toolbar, and another way is to type directly in the web part.
To insert a link using the Hyperlink command follow the below steps:
- Edit the text web part in the SharePoint page, and select the Hyperlink option in the toolbar.
- You can type the address of the link in the Address box and the text you want to be linked in the Text to display box In the Insert Link dialog box.
- Optionally, if you want to link to a page on the site, you can search for it in the Search box.
- We can enable an open link in a new tab check box to open the URL in a new tab, which is optional.
- Click Save to insert a link in the text web part.
Type directly in the web part
- You can directly copy and paste the URL within the Text web part where you want a link to appear.
- This is the direct way to insert a hyperlink in the modern SharePoint text web part.
These are the two ways that we can insert a hyperlink in the modern SharePoint text web part.
Let us discuss the page anchors in the modern SharePoint text web part,
- Page anchors are also known as bookmarks are automatically added to Heading 1 styles in Text web parts on your modern SharePoint site page.
- When a site page is published, and you hover over a Heading 1 in a Text web part, you’ll see a link symbol indicating the page anchor as shown below:
- You can copy a page anchor link by right-clicking and selecting the copy link address.
- Paste the copied link address in the email, message, or any other messages.
- Append the # symbol, and add a hyperlink to your page where it takes to the Heading1, as in this example:
This is how we can check the page anchors in the Modern SharePoint text web part.
Let us see how we can insert a table in the Modern SharePoint text web part,
There are two ways to add a hyperlink into the text web part. One way we can insert an image to the text web part is by selecting the Insert image option in the toolbar. Another way is can insert a table from the text web part properties pane.
- We can insert a table to the text web part is by selecting the Insert Table option in the toolbar or in the text and table property pane.
- We can format the text in the table by using the text formatting tools available on the toolbar or in the Table and text formatting pane.
Choose a table style
- We can choose a table style as the embed table style or as a plain table style.
- From left to right, the table styles are:
- Plain table style.
- Subtle header table style where header has a bottom border.
- Header table style where reverse font and header row will have a solid color.
- Alternating rows table style where alternating rows are shaded, reverse font and header row will have a solid color.
- Column header table style where alternating rows are shaded, reverse font and header row will have a solid color.
Insert and delete rows and columns
- You can also insert and delete rows and columns by right-clicking on the table.
- Add or remove rows or columns, or delete the entire table, by clicking the appropriate buttons in the Table and text formatting pane.
- You can also use the Tab key to navigate within the table and to add rows.
- From the left to right, the options are:
- Insert row above
- Insert row below
- Insert a column to the left
- Insert a column to the right
- Delete the selected row
- Delete the selected column
- Delete the entire table
Set Table alignment
- We can align the table to the left, center, or right.
- In the modern SharePoint text web part, Use the table align option to place and align the table in the web part.
- It is not available in the SharePoint Server 2019.
This is how to insert the table and choose table style and set alignment in the Modern SharePoint text web part.
- There is no option to change the default color of the text web part color in SharePoint modern pages.
- We cannot change the Text web part color in SharePoint modern pages.
- To achieve this you can create a custom theme if you want. Refer to the following link for the SharePoint Online Management Shell to inject the style for the SharePoint modern page.
- In the modern SharePoint, there is no option to edit and filter the Text web part.
In this SharePoint tutorial, we learned the SharePoint Online Text web part, what is SharePoint text web part and how to add a text web part for the SharePoint Online modern site page. And also covered below topics:
- SharePoint online Text web part line spacing
- SharePoint online Text web part insert image
- How to insert a Hyperlink in the SharePoint online Text web part
- Page anchors in modern SharePoint text web part
- How to insert a table in the SharePoint online Text web part
- SharePoint online Text web part background-color
- SharePoint online Text filter web part
You may like the following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint Online modern list column formatting using JSON
- Create Page templates in SharePoint Online Modern Experience
- SharePoint Online mega menu and Site Customizations
- How to Embed Facebook Page into SharePoint Online Modern Site Page
- How to add Google Analytics in SharePoint Online
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Out audiences are from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a SharePoint MVP(8 times), check out My MVP Profile. I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.