Do you want to create a dashboard in the Power BI Service? In this Power BI tutorial, we will see how to build a Power BI dashboard in Power BI Service. Also, we will discuss the key features of the Power BI Dashboard.
So, here we will cover the below topics:
- What is Dashboard in Power BI?
- Key features of Power BI Dashboards
- How to create a Power BI dashboard
What is Dashboard in Power BI?
- A dashboard in Power BI is a single-page interactive canvas that provides key insights and visualizations.
- It serves as a high-level overview of your data and helps users quickly get the important information and trends.
Key features of Power BI Dashboards
Here we will discuss some of the key features of Power BI Dashboard.
The key features of the Power BI Dashboard are:
- Visualizations: Users can add different types of visuals like charts, graphs, maps, and tables to represent their important data on a single page.
- Customization: Users can customize their dashboards by arranging and resizing visuals, and adding text, images, and colors to make them more visually appealing and informative.
- Real-time updates: Dashboards can display data in real-time from streaming sources, allowing users to monitor changes and trends as they happen.
- Sharing: Users can share dashboards with others by providing access to them.
How to create a Power BI dashboard
Here we will see how to create a Dashboard in Power BI Service.
Creating reports in Power BI Desktop and then publishing them to the Power BI Service is an effective method for gaining insight into the functionality of Power BI dashboards.
Create a Power BI Dashboard step-by-step
- Firstly, we need to create a Power BI report in the Power BI Desktop. For this, we will use the Financial Excel sheet.
Then we need to create the report in Power BI Desktop, as I have already created the report below.
So I will publish this report to the Power BI Service so we can create a dashboard. For this click on the Publish button in the ribbon of the Home tab.
Then select the workspace from the option. Click on the Select button.
- Once it is published successfully, you can see the success message. Then click on the link ‘Open ‘Finance report.pbix’ in Power BI’ to open the report in the Power BI service.
- It will open the report in the Power BI service.
- To create the dashboard we will pin the visuals one by one. For example, we will pin the Pie chart.
- A window will pop up; here, you will get two options: you can pin the visual/pie chart to the existing dashboard, or you can create a new dashboard and then pin it.
- Here, we will select the 2nd option, i.e., New dashboard. Then provide the dashboard name as Finance Metrics. Click on the Pin button.
- Now click on the ‘Go to Dashboard‘ button in the pop-up window.
- Now you can see the dashboard which has one pie chart.
- By clicking on the visual you can go back to the report page, from where this visual is pinned.
- To pin more visuals to the dashboard in the Power BI service, for this, you need to follow the same process. Let’s say I will pin the Clustered column chart; for this, click on the pin button.
- Then select the Existing Dashboard i.e. Finance Metric. Click on Pin.
- Once you click on Pin, then go to the dashboard and you can see the visual is pinned to the dashboard in Power BI Service.
This is how to create a dashboard in the Power BI service.
In this Power BI tutorial, we saw what the Power BI Dashboard is and discussed some of the key features of the Dashboard. Also, we create a dashboard in Power BI Service.
You may also like:
- Contact your admin to enable embed code creation in Power BI
- How to create Power BI report from SharePoint list
- Power BI Pie Chart
- Power Bi line chart
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Our audiences are from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a Microsoft SharePoint MVP (9 times). I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.