Recently, I got a requirement to update only one field of a SharePoint list item using Microsoft Power Automate.
Is it possible to update the SharePoint list items in only one field using Power Automate Flow? Then, this Power Automate tutorial will help you.
Yes, updating the SharePoint list items in only one field using flow is possible. I have done and explained, and You can follow the below steps to achieve it.
The flow triggers when an item is modified in the SharePoint list. Here, I have the SharePoint list consisting of Employee Details. By default, the EmployeeStatus will be Active, so whenever the DateofResignation field is modified, the flow triggers and updates only the EmployeeStatus choice field should change to inactive using the Update item action.
Follow the below steps to update the SharePoint list item in only one field using Flow.
Update SharePoint list item only one field using Power Automate
Let us see how to update SharePoint list items in only one field using Power Automate or Microsoft Flow.
In this example, I am going to use the below SharePoint Employee list consisting of
- EmployeeID – default title column
- EmployeeName – text type
- EmployeeDesignation – text type
- DateofJoining – Date type
- DateofResignation – Date type
- EmployeeStatus – Choice type
- Log in to Power Automate Flow, click the +create option, and choose Automated Cloud Flow.
- Enter the flow name, choose the trigger when an item or file is modified, and click the create option.
Expand the trigger action and configure the SharePoint site address and List Name.
- Select + new step and choose the Get changes for an item or a file (properties only) action from action triggers.
- Configure SharePoint site address and list name and pass the dynamic content value of ID and Modified in the field section as shown below:
Select + new step and initialize variable action, choose the variable type as a string, and pass the variable value as Inactive.
Add +new step, select the condition control, and check if the DateofResignation field is equal to True.
- If yes, add an update item action from action triggers and provide the SharePoint site address, list name, ID, and Title. From the dropdown, choose the status as InActive.
- If No, Add a compose data operation and enter the input as DateofResignation Field is not changed as displayed below:
Save and Run the flow by selecting the run flow option.
The flow triggers only when the DateofResignation field is modified. So, Here, I have added the resignation date value for the second item in the SharePoint list.
Once the flow runs successfully, like below:
We can see the EmployeeStatus column has been updated with the value InActive
Similarly, if I add the resignation date value for the fifth item presented in the SharePoint list as highlighted below:
Once the flow runs successfully, we can see the EmployeeStatus column has been updated with the value InActive.
This is how to update SharePoint list items in only one field using Microsoft Flow.
In this Power Automate tutorial, I have shown you how to update only one field in the SharePoint list item using Microsoft Power Automate with an example.
You may like the following tutorials:
- Power Automate Condition Based on Form Response
- How to get more than 100 items using the Get items action in Power Automate?
- Export Power BI Report to Excel using Power Automate
- Check if an item exists in a SharePoint list using Power Automate
- How to Get Distinct Values from SharePoint List using Power Automate?
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Our audiences are from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a Microsoft SharePoint MVP (9 times). I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.