Create an app catalog site in SharePoint 2016 on-premise and Online (PowerShell or Central Administration)
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This article explains how to create an app catalog site in SharePoint 2013 using SharePoint 2013 Central Administration and using PowerShell.
An app catalog site contains a special type of Document Library that is used to upload and store app package files for SharePoint apps. There cannot be more than one App Catalog site collection in a web application or each web application can have only one App Catalog site collection. There can be multiple App Catalogs in a farm.
In the same way, we can create an app catalog site in SharePoint 2016 also.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Now, we will see how to create an app catalog site in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Open SharePoint 2013 central administration. Then choose Apps from the left-hand side and this will open the Apps page. There click on Manage App Catalog from the App Management section on the Apps page.
Then in the Manage App Catalog page click on create a new app catalog site and then click on OK. Before that you can also check the Web Application or if you want you can change the web application.
Then this will open the Create App Catalog page, there you can enter the Title, Description, URL and Site Collection Administrator and then click on “Create“.
New-SPSite -Url http://sp:1001/sites/AppCatalog -OwnerAlias "serverName\sp_admin" -Name "App Catalog site" -Template "APPCATALOG#0"
The SharePoint 2013 app catalog site would be successfully created using central administration and PowerShell.
If your organization is developing custom apps and you want those apps to be made available for users inside your organization, then you can create an app catalog site in your SharePoint online tenant. After this, the apps will be available for users to install when they browse apps under the From Your Organization filter on the Site Contents page.
First Login to your Office 365 admin page, then click on the App Launcher -> then Admin as shown in the fig below:
Then from the Admin section click on SharePoint on the left side. This will open the SharePoint admin center. From the left side click on apps link and then App Catalog as shown in the fig below:
Then choose to create a new app catalog site option, remember if you already have an app catalog site, then it will open the app catalog site directly. see fig below:
Then it will open the Create App Catalog Site Collection dialog box as shown in the fig below:
Fill the details like Title, Web site address, Administrator, storage quota, etc and click on Create. This will create the app catalog site.
Once site collection created successfully, you should be able to see your app catalog site like below:
Here you should see, Apps for SharePoint, Apps for Office document library. As well as the App Requests list in the site collection.
This is how we can create an app catalog site in SharePoint Online Office 365.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Delete and Restore Site Collection using PowerShell in SharePoint Online Office 365
- Current site is not a tenant administration site error in SharePoint Online PowerShell
- Retrieve all site templates using PowerShell and server object model in SharePoint 2016/2013
- 3 Different ways to Change Site Collection URL in SharePoint using PowerShell
- Bulk SharePoint Online Site Collection Creation using PowerShell
- Self-Service Site Collection in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Create Site Collection and Subsite in SharePoint Online using PowerShell
- SharePoint 2016 Fast Site Collection Creation using PowerShell
- How to Change Site Collection Administrators in SharePoint
- How to make SharePoint site collection read-only and restrict delete?
- Compare SharePoint 2016 web application and site collection limits with SharePoint 2013/2010/2007
- SharePoint 2019/2016/2013: Create a web application and a Site Collection using PowerShell
- Backup and Restore Site collection in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010/2007
Here, in this SharePoint tutorial, we learned how to create an app catalog site using PowerShell and using SharePoint 2013/2016 central administration.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)