SharePoint Designer Tutorial
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
Here in this SharePoint designer tutorial, we will discuss what is SharePoint designer? What can we do using SharePoint designer? How can we use it in various versions of SharePoint like SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint online etc?
We can also see how we can use SharePoint designer 2013 to create workflows in SharePoint.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
- 1 What is SharePoint Designer?
- 2 What can you do using SharePoint Designer?
- 3 Different Versions of SharePoint Designer
- 4 How to connect to SharePoint 2016/2019 or SharePoint Online site using SharePoint Designer 2013?
- 5 How to restrict SharePoint Designer?
- 6 What can you do using SharePoint Designer?
Microsoft SharePoint designer (MSD) is a free tool from Microsoft to create and customize SharePoint sites, pages, etc. The tool can be used by advanced end users or SharePoint developer for rapid development. This is popularly known as a no code tool. First Microsoft released designer for MOSS 2007 sites known as SharePoint Designer 2007.
One very important thing we have to remember that, you can download and install SharePoint designer in any operating system like Windows 8 or 10 or any server editions like windows server 2012 or windows server 2012 r2 or windows server 2016. You do not need a SharePoint installed server to install or use SharePoint designer. Even if SharePoint is not installed in the machine, you can install SharePoint designer and open any SharePoint site.
- You can use SharePoint designer to create sites, subsites, list, libraries, list forms, site columns content types, etc.
- We can also use SharePoint designer to develop workflows and external content types to connect with external sites by using Business Connectivity Services (BCS).
- For every organization, branding is very important. While developing any SharePoint portal, you can use SharePoint designer to create master pages and page layouts for branding.
- We can not write any code in the designer like we can write using visual studio.
Microsoft has already released various version of SharePoint designer.
Microsoft released SharePoint designer 2007 to connect with MOSS 2007 sites. You can download from below URL:
Once you download and install SharePoint designer 2007, you can open the designer and then click on File -> Open Site. Then you can provide the site URL and click on Open to open the moss 2007 site in designer 2007.
Another way to open the SharePoint site in the designer is, Open the site in Internet Explorer and then go to the page and then File tab and click on Edit with Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer. This will open the site using the designer.
Remember you should have at least the View permission for that site using the designer.
Microsoft released SharePoint designer 2010 to work with SharePoint 2010 sites. We can not able to open SharePoint 2010 sites using SharePoint designer 2007. Because SharePoint Designer 2007 is not compatible with SharePoint 2010.
But you can use both designer 2007 and 2010 on the same computer, provided you have to install 32-bit versions. And also you need to install SharePoint Designer 2007 before SharePoint Designer 2010.
SharePoint designer 2010 comes with 32-bit version as well as a 64-bit version.
- Download Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 (64-bit)
- Download Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 (32-bit)
Microsoft release SharePoint designer 2013 to connect with SharePoint 2013 sites. The same way, you can not connect SharePoint 2013 sites using SharePoint designer 2010 or 2007. There are various new features came in SharePoint designer 2013 compared to SharePoint 2010. You can check out an article on New Features in SharePoint Designer 2013.
This also comes in 32-bit and 64-bit version.
After installation, to open the SharePoint 2013 site, open SharePoint designer 2013, then click on Open SIte button and give the site URL to open the site. It will ask for credentials to connect to the SharePoint 2013 site.
The latest version released from Microsoft is SharePoint designer 2013. And we can use SharePoint designer 2013 to connect with SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online sites. Microsoft already announced the next version of SharePoint on premise will be SharePoint 2019. But there is no update about SharePoint designer yet.
To open the SharePoint Online site using SharePoint designer 2013, Open SharePoint designer 2013, then click on Open Site button and give the SharePoint online site URL to open the site. It will ask for credentials to connect to the SharePoint online site.
Once it is connected you can see the online site opened like below:
The same way we can connect to SharePoint 2016 sites also from SharePoint designer 2013.
We can restrict SharePoint designer access from our site from the Site collection administration level.
Open SharePoint 2016/2013 site, go to the Site Settings page. And then click on “SharePoint Designer Settings” which is under “Site Collection Administration”. And then uncheck “Allow Site Owners and Designers to use SharePoint Designer in this Site Collection” option like below:
Exactly the same way you can restrict designer access in SharePoint online site also. The option is the same for SharePoint 2013/2016 and SharePoint Online.
Sometimes cache creates some problem while you are working with SharePoint Designer. You can check out an article on How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2010 or 2013 Cache?
You can read a few SharePoint designer 2013 articles:
- Custom Actions Add custom buttons to SharePoint list ribbon using SharePoint Designer 2013
- Steps to Create Custom Views using SharePoint 2013 Designer
We can also create workflows using SharePoint designer, you can check out below two SharePoint designer workflow tutorials:
- Steps to create deploy and Associate reusable workflow using SharePoint designer 2013
- SharePoint Online Site Workflow and Initiation Form Parameters example using SharePoint designer workflow
You can also check how we can create an external content type and how we can use in Business Connectivity services.
Hope this SharePoint designer article will help you to learn SharePoint designer 2013/2010/2007.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)