This SharePoint Online tutorial explains how to solve error “the sign-in name or password does not match one in the Microsoft account system” which comes while working with csom in SharePoint Online.
New to Office 365 SharePoint Online? Get Office 365 Enterprise E3 Subscription & Try out all the features
Recently I was trying to bind list templates to a dropdown list using client side object model (csom) in SharePoint Online using visual studio 2017. While retrieving list items it gave below error: Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.IdcrlExpection: The sign-in name or password does not match one in the Microsoft account system. The error looks like below:
I was using the below csom code to retrieve items from a SharePoint list.
using (ClientContext clientContext = new ClientContext(“https://onlysharepoint2013.sharepoint.com/sites/Raju”))
clientContext.AuthenticationMode = ClientAuthenticationMode.Default;
clientContext.Credentials = new SharePointOnlineCredentials(“Padmini@onlysharepoint2013.onmicrosoft.com”, GetSPOSecureStringPassword());
Web web = clientContext.Web;
ListTemplateCollection templateColl = web.ListTemplates;
private SecureString GetSPOSecureStringPassword()
var secureString = new SecureString();
foreach (char c in “YourAccountPassword”)
Solution to error the sign-in name or password does not match one in the microsoft account
The error was coming because the Password was not correct for the Office 365 account user name I was trying.
The problem was I was not using that account from a long time, so the account password expired already. So I had to reset my Office 365 account password and then update the new password in csom code. Then it started working.
You may like following SharePoint csom examples:
- the remote server returned an error 500 internal server error. SharePoint client object model
- the remote server returned an error (403) forbidden SharePoint client object model
- Get list content types using C#.Net client object model code in SharePoint online
- How to bind dropdown list from an array using jQuery? And how to retrieve from control values using jQuery?
- Retrieve Content type by Id using csom in SharePoint Online
- Steps to add items from CSV file to SharePoint Online List using PowerShell in CSOM
- How to remove UserCustomActions from Ribbon in SharePoint online list using csom?
- How to Use CAML Query for Boolean field for SharePoint 2013/2016/Online Object Model CSOM
Once I gave the correct password, the error “the sign-in name or password does not match one in the Microsoft account” did not come.
FREE SHAREPOINT 2019 PDF
(Installation & Features)