In this ULS Logs SharePoint tutorial explains how to use SharePoint Log Viewer to view ULS logs in SharePoint 2010/2013. SharePoint Log Viewer is very efficient and has a lot of options like view real-time logs, export logs, show logs from multiple files, filter based on various filter columns.
SharePoint Log Viewer supports Moss 2007, SharePoint 2010 as well as SharePoint 2013.
SharePoint Tutorial Contents
- Download and Install SharePoint Log Viewer
- Open SharePoint Log Files using SharePoint Log Viewer
- View Real Time Logs using SharePoint Log Viewer
- Export Logs in SharePoint Log Viewer
- Filter Logs SharePoint Log Viewer
- Change Columns in SharePoint LogViewer
- Send Notification using SharePoint Log Viewer
- Different ways to check logs in SharePoint 2013
To use SharePoint Log Viewer to view logs from SharePoint, first, download SharePoint LogViewer from GitHub.
Then double click on the setup file to run SharePoint Log Viewer.
To see the existing log click on the Open Files button like below: Then you can browse the log file and see the log details.
SharePoint Log file locations: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS
To view real-time logs, click on the “Start Live Monitoring” button as shown in the fig below:
We can also export logs by click on the “Export Log Entries” button as shown in the fig below:
Once you load any log file you will be able to filter logs based on various criteria like Correlation id, area, categoryid, eventid etc. It will be like below:
By default, it will display all the columns in the UI. If you want to show only a few selected columns then you can click on the Setting icon and then in the Settings dialog box you can check and uncheck columns as shown in the fig below:
If you want to send any notification to specific id then you can configure in the tool from the Settings icon. Click on the Settings icon -> Notifications -> then check the checkbox “Enable Email Notifications“.
Then it will enable the fields to enter Sender Email Address, Recipients Email Address, and Smtp Server.
Let us see what are the different ways to check error logs in SharePoint 2013/2016. If any error occurred in your SharePoint environment, then it is necessary to get the logs.
Below is the area where we should check for SharePoint logs:
This is one of the popular places to search for SharePoint errors.
You can open this by using the command like this:
Start -> Run and then enter eventvwr and click on Ok. This will open the Event Viewer window.
It has a separate section for SharePoint with a name as Windows SharePoint Services. Apart from this, you can also check in Windows Logs -> Applications section for errors.
By default, SharePoint maintains log inside the 14/15 hive folder, which is located in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14/15\LOGS
You can check in the above locations also.
You can use ULS viewer tool to see logs from 14 hive folder. This is a good tool.
You can also check in IIS logs for some errors.
The IIS logs presented in C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles location.
The IIS logs contain information about each request and the response.
Apart from this you can also enable tracing in SharePoint by modifying in the web.config file like below:
<system.web> <trace enabled="true" requestLimit="40" localOnly="false"/> </system.web>
These are different ways to check logs in SharePoint 2013/2016.
You like following uls logs SharePoint tutorials:
- Get Error Details based on Correlation ID from ULS Logs in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- PowerShell Command to collect ULS logs for specific CorrelationID
- Write to ULS log using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013
- How to Change ULS Log Location in SharePoint 2013/2016?
- Different ways to check logs in SharePoint
- Merge-SPLogFile Correlation ID Cmdlet did not return any records in the log file. Check your time range or filters
- Merge-SPLogFile in SharePoint 2010
- SharePoint 2016 Change Default Log File Location
- Various SharePoint developer tools
- ULS Viewer for SharePoint 2013 download
Here we have discussed how to use SharePoint Log Viewer to view logs in SharePoint 2007/2010/2013. How we can download and install or run SharePoint log viewer in SharePoint.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.