Working with Term Store in SharePoint Online
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint tutorial explains, how we can work with term store in SharePoint online like how to create term store, how to use terms efficiently within our list or document library in SharePoint Online.
We will see here, how we can create a term group, term sets, terms in SharePoint Online Office 365.
Term Store in SharePoint Online
SharePoint maintains term store like a global directory of common terms for your enterprise. This helps in increasing data consistency in your SharePoint online environment.
By default, if you will try to add term sets from site settings it will be in disabled mode. For this, we need to first add Term Store Administrators. To do this go to the SharePoint Online Admin Center and then click on the term store as shown in the fig below:
There go to the Term Store Administrators section and add an administrator and Save like below:
Then open SharePoint online site, click on the gear icon and then click on Site Settings. In the Site Settings page click on “Term store management” which is under Site Administration. By default the Term Store Management Tool will look like below:
To start with we need to first add a new group to the term store. Right click and click on “New Group” as shown in the fig below:
Then give a name, description, group manager, contributor etc. like below:
Then we will add a term set to the group. Think to suppose you want to upload document related to SharePoint, then people can tag like SharePoint 2016, sp 2016, sharepoint2016, sp2016, sp2013, etc. To avoid this kind of things you can put define company wise terms. So that people can only choose terms from those available terms.
Right click on the Group and then click on New Term Set as shown in the fig below:
Put the Term Set Name, Description, Owner etc like below:
Now we can create terms to the term set. Right click on the Term Set and then click on Create Term like below:
Here I have added 5 terms like 3rd Party Tools, AngularJS, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2016, SharePoint Online. It looks like below:
Now to use term set in document list or library go back to the list or document library. And from ribbon click on Add a new column. Give a name for the column and select column type as “Managed Metadata” like below:
Then go to the Term Set Settings section and then choose the Training term set which we have created above. see fig below:
Also if you want to select a default value to it, then go to the Default Value section and then click on the Term Set to choose one like below:
Now try to add one item or try to edit meta data like below. In the training column, one icon will come to choose from the term store. Once you click on that you can see the terms that we have added to it.
Even if you try writing something it will display the related terms presented like below:
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- How to retrieve term store data using .Net managed object model in SharePoint Online?
- Retrieve term store data including Labels using .Net managed object model in SharePoint Online
- Navigation terms in sharepoint server 2013
- Migrate custom Search Dictionaries Terms SharePoint 2013 or 2010 to Office 365 SharePoint Online
- Extract term store in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- Error loading navigation: The Managed Navigation term set is improperly attached to the site SharePoint 2013 error
- Apply term sets as Global Navigation in SharePoint site using PowerShell and CSOM
- The default term store for this site cannot be identified error in SharePoint 2010
- Create a group, term set and term in SharePoint Online Term Store
- Steps to Create a managed metadata navigation from Term Store in SharePoint Online
- Term update failed because of save conflict SharePoint Online
Hope, this SharePoint tutorial helps to know term store in SharePoint online.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.