In this SharePoint 2013 tutorial, I will explain variations in SharePoint 2013 and how to use variations on multilingual sites in SharePoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Variations feature creates sites and syncs content and supported list items from a source variation site to one or more target variation sites. By default, the variations feature syncs publishing pages from the Pages library of the source variation site, and any lists that are configured to be synced to specific target variation sites.
Variations Create Hierarchies Job Definition: Creates a complete variations hierarchy by creating all variation sites, lists, and pages from the source variation site, based on the variation labels. By default, this timer job runs hourly.
Variations Propagate List Items Job Definition: Creates and updates list items on target variation sites after a list is configured to send items to specific target variation labels. By default, this timer job runs every 15 minutes.
Variations Propagate Page Job Definition: Creates and updates pages on target variation sites after a page on the source variation site are approved or after it is manually submitted by a user. By default, this timer job runs every 15 minutes.
Variations Propagate Sites and Lists Job Definition: Creates variation sites and lists when the Create Everywhere option is enabled. By default, this timer job runs every 30 minutes.
Open -> SharePoint 2013 Central admin -> Click Monitoring -> Under timer jobs -> Click Review job definiton.
Create a new publishing site:
Created a site named “YourSiteName”
Click Site settings -> Under site collection administration -> Click Variations settings.
Site, list, and page creation behavior:
- Create everywhere:
It will create a site, list, and pages from source to target variation sites automatically.
- Create selectively:
It will sync the site lists and pages the first time after that we have to do manually.
Recreated a deleted target pages:
It will help you to recreate the deleted pages in the source variation site into target variation sites once republished by the source.
If Create Everywhere is enabling it will do this step automatically created on a target variation.
Update target page web parts:
If you have done any changes in web parts on source variation sites it will be updated to the target variation site also.
It will send the notification to the users when the new page is created or updated in source and variation sites.
Now am going to create a Variation label:
Click on variation labels -> Click New
Now am going to create a label for source variation site “English”
- For Site template language “Select English”
- Next select locale “Selected English (United States)”
- Next create a label “en-us”
- Select Publish template with or without workflow
- In this scenario am selected Publishing template with workflow
Click Ok. It will create as a source.
- Click a new label for creating a target variation:
- Select template language as “Arabic”
- Select locale as “Arabic(U.A.E)”
- Click Continue
Provide the label name In my scenario “ar-ae”. Select the hierarchy creation “Publishing sites list with variations and pages”. Click Continue.
Allow Human translation and Machine translation you need. In my scenario used both translations.
Click continue. Here you can provide the page update behavior will be automatically or manually
In my scenario am selected automatically.
Click Continue. Review all those settings and click finish.
So it will be enabled as a target variation site.
Click Create hierarchy -> Click Ok.
Now check the variation logs and run the timer jobs manually for immediate requirement.
Here is the final result.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint 2013 shortcut URL and hidden list
- Create and configure metadata navigation and filtering for list or library in SharePoint Online
- JQuery Tabs using content search web part in SharePoint 2013
- jQuery News Ticker using content search web part in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 Multilingual Variation Site
- List of SharePoint Shortcut Page URLs
- Difference between Team site and Publishing site in SharePoint 2013
- Difference between site pages and application pages in SharePoint 2013/2010/Online
- Promoted links web part in SharePoint Online
- Image rendition in SharePoint 2013 tutorial
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned variations in SharePoint 2013 and how to use variations on multilingual sites in SharePoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)