This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to upload excel data to SharePoint using the Import Spreadsheet option in SharePoint 2013. It will create a list as well as it adds columns that are there in the excel sheet and upload data to it.
But this feature will work only on those browsers that support ActiveX. Else it will give an error like “Cannot import the spreadsheet into SharePoint. this feature requires a browser that supports ActiveX controls”. So it will work fine in Internet Explorer browser.
If you are getting the above error in Google Chrome, then you can try doing the operation using Internet Explorer. Make sure to use the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 10 or 11 to import a spreadsheet in SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint 2013 on SharePoint online.
If the error is coming in IE, then we need to enable “SharePoint SpreadSheet Launcher” add-on in IE.
Cannot import the spreadsheet into SharePoint. This feature requires a browser that supports ActiveX controls in SharePoint 2013.
To use Import Spreadsheet open, Open SharePoint 2013 site, from the Settings Icon click on Add an app. Then select Import Spreadsheet App as shown in the fig below:
Then in the Next page, Give the name and description and then choose the spreadsheet (excel) file. And then click on Import.
Then it will open the Import to Windows SharePoint Services List. There select the Range of Cells from the Range Type: And then put the cursor in the Select Range, it will allow you to select whatever you want to add from the excel. see pics below.
Then click on Import. This will create the list like below which will include the column names also.
You may like following SharePoint customization tutorials:
- Add JSLink in Task List View in SharePoint Online
- Change default list view style using CSS in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- SharePoint List View Threshold: Your FAQs Answered
- Change the SharePoint List View into JQuery News Ticker Using JS Link CSR
- SharePoint 2013 jslink list view examples: Add header and footer to list view web part using JSLink in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Customize list view using jslink in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Change width of list view column in SharePoint 2013 using SharePoint designer 2013
- SharePoint 2016/Online List View Auto Indexing Automatic Index Management
- Delete SharePoint list view and set a list view as default view using PowerShell
This way you can create easily a SharePoint list from excel with data in SharePoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.