This SharePoint tutorial explains, what is USL Viewer in SharePoint? How to download and use URL Viewer in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Finally, Unified Logging Service (ULS) VIewer for sharepoint 2013 released (at the time of writing this article).
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
ULS Viewer is a useful FREE tool from Microsoft, which will run on the SharePoint on-premises server like SharePoint 2013/2016 to connect to the log files which SharePoint maintains in the environment. We can only get the log details from the local SharePoint server.
ULS Viewer is a Windows application that provides a simplified view of ULS log files in SharePoint 2013. Not only view, in ULS viewer, you can filter, sort, highlight, aggregate, append logs. ULS also, writes events to the Trace Log and stores them in the file system.
Note: We can not use ULS Viewer to connect to SharePoint Online logs.
According to Bill Baer article, there are some fixes in the ULS Viewer.
- Resolved updating defined filters while in a paused state which provides IT Professionals and Developers an additional tool to isolate issues in high trace flow environments.
- Fixed Find Again command missing matching entries.
- Fixed issues with multi-line messages.
- Applies more strict filter with RegEx when finding the uls log files in the log folder so that non-uls log files are not picked.
Before using ULS viewer in your SharePoint server, you can download ULS viewer for SharePoint 2013.
Once you download ULS viewer, it will provide a zip file, which you can unzip and it will provide a .exe file like below:
To start ulsviewer, double click on the setup file, which will open the ULS viewer tool like below:
In the tool, click on the File Open icon to load our ULS log fille. The default location for the log file is:
E:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\16\LOGS
Here I have installed SharePoint 2016 on E drive.
Filter Logs in ULS Viewer using Correlation ID
We can easily filter the logs based on the Correlation id in ULS viewer in SharePoint 2016/2013.
Click on the Filter icon, which will open the Filter dialog box. There you can select the Field on which you want to run the filter. We can choose various options from the Operations like Equals, Not Equals, Contains, etc. We can use the And/Or conditions to add more filter conditions like below:
Apart from this, we can also quickly see High importance messages by clicking on the Show High Messages like below:
Show selected columns in ULS Viewer
By default, the uls viewer will display all the columns like Time, Server, Process, Thread, Product, Category, EventID, Level, Correlation, Message etc.
Here, we can display only selected columns. Go to Formatting -> Choose Columns…
Then in the ColumnChooserForm dialog box, we can uncheck the columns which we do not want to appear like below:
Once you select the columns, now only those selected columns will appear in the ULS Viewer.
Monitor Log in Real time in ULS Viewer
We can easily monitor log in real time in URL Viewer in SharePoint 2013/2016. Click on the “Monitor log in real time” button. Once you click on the button, it will ask you to select the default logs file location like below:
Once you click on OK, it will start monitor the logs in real time and you can check like below:
We can easily export the filter logs in CSV file formation in ulsviewer in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Click on File -> Save as…
This will ask to save the file in csv format in SharePoint ULSViewer in SharePoint 2013/2016.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint 2016 Change Default Log File Location
- Shrink SharePoint config database transaction log files
- Write to ULS log using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013
- Merge-SPLogFile Correlation ID Cmdlet did not return any records in the log file. Check your time range or filters
- View ULS Logs using SharePoint Log Viewer in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 Logs for Analyzing or troubleshooting the issues related to workflows or Workflow Manager
- How to find uls log details based on correlation id using PowerShell in SharePoint 2016/2013
- How to Change ULS Log Location in SharePoint 2013/2016?
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains, what is ulsviewer in SharePoint? How we can use ULSViewer in SharePoint 2013/2016 to see logs and filter logs. We also saw how we can monitor logs in real time using ulsviewer in SharePoint 2013/2016.
We also discussed how to download ulsviewer for SharePoint 2013/2016.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.