This SharePoint tutorial we will discuss how to resolve, This View cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow status columns it contains exceeds the threshold (8) enforced by the administrator. This error will come if List View Lookup Threshold exceeds which is set by the administrator at the web application level. By default, it will be 8.
If you increase the lookup limits to more than 8, then it may decrease the performance, because your lookup column joins with other tables to give the result.
According to Microsoft: “Each lookup column in a list view causes a join with another table. Each additional lookup column in a view increases the complexity of metadata navigation and list view queries. In addition to standard lookup columns, single-value managed metadata, multiple-value managed metadata, single-value people and group columns, and multiple-value people and group columns count as lookup columns.”
An example of a Lookup column is supposed we are binding a drop-down list from the other list. So below are the columns which SharePoint considers as Lookup Columns:
- Standard lookup columns
- Single-value managed metadata columns
- Multiple-value managed metadata columns
- Single-value people and group columns
- Multiple-value people and group columns
- OOTB Created By & Modified By columns
- Workflow Status Columns
So if you are trying to display all the above type of columns in the list view then the error message will come.
This view cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow status columns it contains exceeds the threshold (8) enforced by the administrator
I will suggest trying not to mess with resource settings, rather create views and limits the number of lookup or workflow columns in a single view.
But still, if you want you can change through Central Administration and these changes are web application level.
To change this you can Open SharePoint 2010 Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage web applications and then the web application for which you want to change. Then from Ribbon Select -> General Settings and Resource Throttling.
Then increase the Threshold limit according to your requirement like below:
You can set from 1 to 1000.
You may like following SharePoint 2010 workflow tutorials:
- Create Workflow Activity using Visual Studio 2010 in SharePoint 2010
- Create approval workflow SharePoint 2010 using SharePoint designer
- Workflow Task and History List are not found an error in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2010
- Use list column for Globally reusable workflow for list action in SharePoint 2010
- How to create an HTML email message in SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow?
- Export SharePoint designer List workflow from one site to another site
- How to attach workflows to content types in SharePoint 2010?
- How to open directly workflow task list edit form in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint Online task list?
- SharePoint online Send email in visual studio 2015 workflow using Email Workflow Activity
- SharePoint 2013 designer workflow Add edit task form URL inside an email
Hope this SharePoint tutorial helps to solve the error: This View cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow status columns it contains exceeds the threshold (8) enforced by the administrator.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.