This SharePoint 2013 tutorial, we will discuss how to fix the error “The workbook cannot be opened” which comes when you try to open an excel document in the browser itself.
The full error message that comes as below:
The workbook cannot be opened.
The error usually comes if the account that is running Excel Services does not have proper permissions to the Content Database.
According to MSDN, When you upload an Excel workbook to a SharePoint library, the workbook is stored as blobs in the Content Database. When you choose to open this in Excel Services, the account running Excel Services needs to retrieve and reassemble the workbook. If the account running Excel Services lacks proper permissions, “The workbook cannot be opened”.
Through PowerShell, you can set permission to the account like below:
Open SharePoint 2010/2013 Management Shell (Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SharePoint 2010/2013 Products).
Then write the below command and press enter.
$w = Get-SPWebApplication –Identity http://YourWebApplicationURL $w.GrantAccessToProcessIdentity("Domain\AccountName")
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Unable to create or access workbook cache. Excel Services Application is unable to function without a workbook cache Event ID 5226
- The workbook cannot be opened because it is not stored in excel services SharePoint 2010
- Unable to reach excel calculation services error event id 5231 error in SharePoint
- SharePoint 2013 There was an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Services error while opening excel file in browser
- Excel Service to import SSAS Cubes and Generating Pivot tables in SharePoint BI
- Install and configure SQL server reporting services (SSRS) in SharePoint
- Excel service to import external database using secure store connection in SharePoint
- Data Refreshing issue Access Denied to Analysis services Database
- Publishing and Synchronizing Excel tables to SharePoint 2013/2016/Online Lists using Excel Add-in
After this, you should not get the error The workbook cannot be opened.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.