In this SharePoint 2013 tutorial, we will discuss how to fix the error “The workbook cannot be opened” which comes when you try to open an excel document in the browser itself.
The full error message comes as below:
The workbook cannot be opened.
The error usually comes if the account that is running Excel Services does not have proper permissions to the Content Database.
When you choose to open this in Excel Services, the account running Excel Services needs to retrieve and reassemble the workbook. If the account running Excel Services lacks proper permissions, “The workbook cannot be opened”.
Through PowerShell, you can set permission to the account like below:
Open SharePoint 2010/2013 Management Shell (Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SharePoint 2010/2013 Products).
Then write the below command and press enter.
$w = Get-SPWebApplication –Identity http://YourWebApplicationURL $w.GrantAccessToProcessIdentity("Domain\AccountName")
You may like the following SharePoint tutorials:
- Publishing and Synchronizing Excel tables to SharePoint 2013/2016/Online Lists using Excel Add-in
- How to Check SharePoint version installed on the server?
- Excel cannot connect to the SharePoint list
- Download SharePoint Manager 2013/2010/2007/Online
- Web parts maintenance page: if you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close web parts or remove personal settings. for more information, contact your site administrator
After this, you should not get the error The workbook cannot be opened.
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Out audiences are from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a SharePoint MVP(8 times), check out My MVP Profile. I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.