This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to resolve the specified file or folder name is too long sharepoint 2013/2016 error. The error will come if you will provide folder name more than 128 characters in SharePoint on-premise or SharePoint Online.
The full error will appear as:
The specified file or folder name is too long. The URL path for all files and folders must be 260 characters or less (and no more than 128 characters for any single file or folder name in the URL). Please type a shorter file or folder name.
the specified file or folder name is too long SharePoint 2013/2016
There is a limit of 128 characters for folder names in SharePoint. So the best thing is to give small meaningful names as well as avoid spaces and special characters. For example, a space which encoded as %20 will take three characters.
- The file/folder name should not have more than 128 characters.
- The full path of file/folder length should not exceed more than 260 characters.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Create Folder and Subfolder in SharePoint Document Library using PnP Core CSOM Library
- SharePoint Document Sets Vs Folder
- Create the folder if not exists using PowerShell
- Migrate files with a folder structure to SharePoint 2013 document library using PowerShell
- Create a folder inside the document library using Rest API in SharePoint Online Office 365
- Microsoft Flow Example: Copy files from one SharePoint Online account or folder to another
- Create folder and subfolder inside document library using .Net client object model in SharePoint online
- How to sort folders in SharePoint document library?
- [Solved] SharePoint 2013 Designer error The folder name is not valid
Hope this article will be helpful to resolve the specified file or folder name is too long SharePoint 2013/2016 error.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)