Recently when I am trying to upload excel data to my SharePoint 2013 site by using the Import Spreadsheet option by following this article, I got the below error “The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import“. File format and data everything was correct.
The error “The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import” can come in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online while importing an excel using the Import Spreadsheet option.
The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import sharepoint
I searched and found the below solutions are working.
I was doing these stuff in IE 8 browser, but when I follow the same steps in IE 9 or above, then everything works fine for me.
This solution also worked for me. Open the IE browser, then navigate to Internet Options -> Security Tab. And then in the “Select a zone to view or change security settings”, click Trusted Sites. Then add the site to the trusted site list. Then Set the Security level for this zone of the Trusted sites to Low.
The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import SharePoint 2016
Now close the browser and open again.
The below solution I have not tried and I got this solution from this Technet URL.
You can give a try and check if it is working (if the above solutions did not work).
In Internet Explorer click Tools -> Internet Options.
Then Click Security -> click sites -> and add this URLs https://.emea.microsoftonline.com and https://.microsoftonline.com
After following the above approach, The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import SharePoint error will not appear.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer in SharePoint
- SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint Online Migration Steps using Metalogix tool
- Browsers Supported in SharePoint online SharePoint 2016/2013
- Only secure content is displayed error in SharePoint Online page viewer web part
- Sign in as different user is missing in SharePoint 2016/2013
- SharePoint 2013 Image was not appearing in IE but appearing in Chrome and Firefox
- Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded while downloading SharePoint server 2016 in IE
- You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page
- The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import sharepoint 2016
- An error has occurred with the data fetch. Please refresh the page and retry SharePoint 2013 IE 11 issue
- SharePoint 2013/2016: Disable Windows Authentication prompt
Here we learned how to solve the specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import sharepoint error.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.