This SharePoint 2013 workflow tutorial explains, how to configure workflow infrastructure in SharePoint 2013. I installed Sharepoint Designer 2013 and tried to create SharePoint 2013 workflow but there was no option to select platform type as “SharePoint 2013 Workflow” and getting the following message in SharePoint Designer 2013: The Option for the SharePoint 2013 Workflow Platform is not available because the Workflow service is not configured on the server.
Here are the steps:
1. Make sure Workflow Manager 1.0 for SharePoint 2013 server is installed and configured properly. If workflow manager 1.0 not installed follow below URL [Install and Configure Workflow Manager for SharePoint 2016 in Windows Server 2012 R2 Step by Step tutorial]
Download and install the workflow individual components from this URL.
2. Verify that all the following services are running: (To check service status, Press Windows key+R and type services.msc)
- Workflow Manager Backend
- Windows Fabric Host Service
- Service Bus Gateway
3. Open “Sharepoint 2013 Management Shell” and run following command:
Enable-SPFeature -Identity WorkflowServiceStore –Url $yourUrl
replace $yourUrl with your site collection URL.
In my case, I was getting a message the feature was already activated at that site.
4. Open IIS, Verify “Workflow Management Site” is working fine.
You can determine which ports SharePoint Server 2013 and Workflow Manager are using for both HTTP and HTTPS by using IIS Manager as shown in the figure.
5. You need to register the workflow service with an existing site collection by using the following Register-SPWorkflowService cmdlet. Execute it in the SharePoint 2013 Management Shell. Please ensure you use the following syntax:
Register-SPWorkflowService –SPSite “http://svr7007/” –WorkflowHostUri “https://svr7007:12290? –AllowOAuthHttp
Change port number if you want use HTTP(12291) or HTTPS(12290) to communicate between Workflow Manager and SharePoint Server 2013.
6. Finally, open SharePoint Designer 2013 and check you can create SharePoint 2013 workflows
You may like following SharePoint workflow tutorials:
- SharePoint 2013 designer workflow changes not updating
- How to cancel all workflows having Suspended state in SharePoint 2013?
- How to find Workflow History in SharePoint 2013?
- Set People Picker field to empty or blank in SharePoint designer workflow
- Set Text field to empty or blank in SharePoint 2013 designer workflow
- SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Edit Item or Display Item
- Package and Deploy workflow in SharePoint 2013 designer
- Change Item Level Permission using SharePoint designer workflow
- Step by Step Nintex Workflow tutorial for Office 365 SharePoint Online
I hope this SharePoint workflow tutorial will be helpful to resolve an issue The Option for the SharePoint 2013 Workflow Platform is not available error in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
Solutions. I am currently working on Sharepoint 2010, MOSS 2007, Sharepoint 2013,Sharepoint 2013 App Dev, C#, ASP.NET, and SQL Server 2008.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.