This SharePoint tutorial we will discuss how to fix error The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started. The error comes in SharePoint 2013/2016.
While configuring Managed Metadata Service (MMS) Application in a newly created web application I got the error as “The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started. Please contact your Administrator.” It a long time for me to figure out the root cause of this issue.
The error looks like below:
While creating Web Application I have not selected any application services apart from Access service 2010 service.
To fix the issue, we need to enable the managed metadata service application in SharePoint 2013.
To enable service application “MMS Application” for the newly created web application, follow the below steps:
Log on to the application server with a super admin account and open SharePoint Central Admin. Then go to Application Management -> Configure Service Application associations.
If you notice I can’t see MMS application not listed for SharePoint – 12345 web application.
Click on the “Custom” hyperlink to add the MMS application to the web application.
Once we select the MMS application it will as below.
As soon as this change has been completed I can see all the term stores and terms.
Other possible issues and solutions can be found in this MSDN article.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Create managed metadata navigation in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Create a responsive navigation menu using managed metadata navigation in SharePoint server 2013
- SharePoint 2013 The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available
- Working with Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings for List and Document library in SharePoint Online
- Error loading navigation:The Managed Navigation term set is improperly attached to the site SharePoint 2013 error
- Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings in SharePoint 2013
- Managed Metadata not displaying Group name Site collection URL SharePoint 2013 Office 365
- SharePoint Metadata Navigation Settings tutorial (List and Library)
This SharePoint tutorial helps to learn how to fix error The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019