Recently while working on a MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2013 migration project, we wanted to save a MOSS 2007 list as a template. When we tried to Save a list as a template it gave an error that says: The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 10485760 bytes.
The error comes because Microsoft allows it because of the Size of the SharePoint list.
MOSS 2007: the list is too large to save as a template
In MOSS 2007, max size allowed is 10MB. We can increase by using a stsadm command like below:
stsadm -o setproperty -propertyname max-template-document-size -propertyvalue 52428800
The command will increase the limit to 50MB.
SharePoint 2013: the list is too large to save as a template
By default, it is 50MB in SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013. So if it increased the limit then it will give an error like the below:
You can also use PowerShell SharePoint command to increase the limit like below:
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell $webservice = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService]::ContentService Write-Host "Size: " $webservice.MaxTemplateDocumentSize $webservice.MaxTemplateDocumentSize = 262144000 #250 MB $webservice.Update()
the list is too large to save as a template SharePoint online:
In SharePoint Online we can not increase the limit, So you have to remove the content to save the list as a template.
You may like the following SharePoint list tutorials:
- Sorry this site hasn’t been shared with you while saving a list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Microsoft Flow Example Save tweets that include the specific hashtag to a SharePoint list
- Access denied when clicking on Save list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- How to customize a SharePoint List form – 5 Examples
- How to display more than 3 views in SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library
- Change SharePoint Online/2013/2016 List Column Order
- Working with Survey List in SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online
Hope this will be helpful to solve the error The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 10485760 bytes in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com