Recently while working on a MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2013 migration project, we wanted to save a MOSS 2007 list as a template. When we tried to Save a list as a template it gave an error that says: The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 10485760 bytes.
The error comes because Microsoft allows it because of the Size of the SharePoint list.
MOSS 2007: the list is too large to save as a template
In MOSS 2007, max size allowed is 10MB. We can increase by using a stsadm command like below:
stsadm -o setproperty -propertyname max-template-document-size -propertyvalue 52428800
The command will increase the limit to 50MB.
By default, it is 50MB in SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013. So if it increased the limit then it will give an error like the below:
You can also use PowerShell SharePoint command to increase the limit like below:
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell $webservice = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService]::ContentService Write-Host "Size: " $webservice.MaxTemplateDocumentSize $webservice.MaxTemplateDocumentSize = 262144000 #250 MB $webservice.Update()
In SharePoint Online we can not increase the limit, So you have to remove the content to save the list as a template.
You may like the following SharePoint list tutorials:
- Sorry this site hasn’t been shared with you while saving a list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Microsoft Flow Example Save tweets that include the specific hashtag to a SharePoint list
- Access denied when clicking on Save list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- How to customize a SharePoint List form – 5 Examples
- How to display more than 3 views in SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library
- Change SharePoint Online/2013/2016 List Column Order
- Working with Survey List in SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online
Hope this will be helpful to solve the error The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 10485760 bytes in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com