Steps to create master page using design manager in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
Through this SharePoint customization tutorial, we will discuss how we will create a master page using a design manager in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
Master Page: It is the common layout of a page that we use on every page.
Default Master Pages in Sharepoint 2013: “Seattle” and “Oslo”.
For Example:- I have made a basic layout through HTML as shown in below figure, which will be used in every page of the site in Sharepoint 2013.
– How to implement the above HTML page in Sharepoint 2013 as a Master Page with examples?
– First, go to your respective Top level site. (i.e Asish Sharepoint Site).
– Then click on “setting” button at the top-right corner of the navigation bar.
– Then click on “Design Manager” as shown in below figure.
– If the SharePoint design manager option is not available there, then go to the Site Collection features and activate “Sharepoint Publishing Infrastructure.”
– Then you will redirect to the below page.
– As shown in the above figure click on “Upload design files” which is marked in red color.
– Then copy the URL and paste the same in another tab to open the Master page gallery as shown in the above figure.
– When the “Master Page Gallery” window appears as shown in the above figure, then navigate to the FILES tab and create a NEW FOLDER(e.g I have created ASISH folder) to maintain your files in an organized way.
– Then click on the respective folder that you have created.(for e.g ASISH)
– When the above page will appear, then click on “FILES” tab and then click on “Upload Document” to add your HTML, js, CSS files, and Images.
– Choose your HTML file and click on OK button
– Then the above form will appear where you fill the details as shown in the above figure which is marked in red color.
– NOTE: When you are uploading an HTML file as a Master Page always choose the Content-type as “HTML Master Page” and check on “Associated file” to create its corresponding master page as shown in below figures.
– Then Click on the “Save” button.
– Your HTML page i.e “demomasterpage1.html”along with its master page i.e “demomasterpage1.master” has been created.
– Then we have to publish the corresponding HTML page by clicking on the drop-down box near to the corresponding HTML page( as shown in below figure) to implement it in our pages.
– After completion of these steps then go the “Design Manager” and click on “Publish and Apply Design” then the below page will appear.
– Then you have to click on “Assign master pages to your site based on device channel” to implement it.
– Then the below form will appear where you have to select your master page.
– If you are selecting your master page on “Site master pages” level then your master page will reflect on your Custom pages.
– But if you are selecting your master page on “System Master Page” level then your master page will reflect in your Application Pages.
– And finally, click on the OK button.
– Then add a page to see whether the master page is reflecting or not.
You may like following SharePoint design manager tutorials:
- Create a custom master page using Design Manager in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Design Manager Issue with Content-Type SharePoint 2013 Office 365
- Convert an HTML page into SharePoint master page using Design manager in SharePoint serve 2013/Online
- Install and Configure Workflow Manager for SharePoint 2016 in Windows Server 2012 R2 Step by Step tutorial
- How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2013 or SharePoint 2010 Cache?
Hope this tutorial will help you, to create a master page using design manager in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)