In this article step by step, we will learn how to configure SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) in SQL server 2012.
Why should I need to learn this?
Being SharePoint guy we need to learn SSAS because, SSAS play a major role in SharePoint 2013 BI. SSAS is a prerequisite for:
– SharePoint POWERPIVOT
– SharePoint View
We will certainly learn how to configure these 2 in my future articles. Follow the below steps to configure SSAS.
What is sql server analysis services(SSAS)?
Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), is an online analytical and transactional processing (OLAP) and data mining tool in Microsoft SQL Server. SSAS is used as a tool by organizations to analyze and make sense of information possibly spread out across multiple databases, or in disparate tables or files.
1. Log on to SQL Server where you want to configure SSAS
2. Launch SQL Server setup
3. Click on “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation”
4. SQL ensure all the required supporting files, once it validates it will show status as passed
5. Once the supporting files validation completes SQL check for all the required updates.
6. As part of SSAS installation SQL validates all the support rules.
7. Click on “Add features to an existing instance SQL Server 2012” option and click on Next
8. Now SQL will redirect you to select the features to be installed. Select
– Analysis Services
– SQL Server Data Tools
– Ensure that Management Tools at the end of the features list
Once you ensure / perform the above steps click on Next.
9. SQL validates the Installation rules as shown below
10. As soon as SQL validates the Installation rules it will perform check for the required space
11. Click on Account Name dropdown to add SQL Server account and enter password for the same service account then click on Next.
12. Add the all the services which you need full / admin access on SSAS service then click on Next
13. Click on check box as highlighted in below screen shot to send the error messages to Microsoft and click on Next.
14. In this step SQL validates / run the Installation Configuration rules to ensure seamless SSAS setup.
15. Once all the prerequisite validations are completed you will see the below screen to install the SSAS. Before you click on Install button ensure that all the required features are selected as mentioned below.
16. Once the installation get completed, SQL will show the success message as below.
17. Now that the installation is completed, let us quickly check the instance in Management studio by as shown below:
– Select server type as “Analysis Services”
– Server name: << Select your server name>> in my case it is “sharepoint13\mstechsql12”
– Select the proper admin account get connect to Analysis Server.
18. As shown below our installation is successful and we can Analysis Server instance.
Hope this helps, in the next article I will walk you through the process of importing sample DB and CUBE.
Happy development in Microsoft world !!!!
Download FREE SharePoint 2019 Installation PDF Guide
This FREE PDF contains, Steps by step guide to install SharePoint 2019 Preview, prerequisites, hardware and software new features. First impression to SharePoint Server 2019 new modern site, modern lists and modern document libraries.
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Online Tutorials: