In SharePoint, we can create a document library to store documents. And to organize documents we can create folders inside a document library in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online. Recently while working in a SharePoint 2010 application, we created a document library in SharePoint and created various folders inside it. Now as per the requirement we need to sort folders in the document library. Here we will discuss how we can sort SharePoint 2010 document library folders.
For this, we have to first create a custom “Folder” content type in SharePoint 2010. Follow the steps:
1. Go to Site Settings. See in fig
2. Click on Site Content Types. See in fig
3. Now click on Create and give the name, what you want. In Parent content type = “folder content type” and then “folder”. See in fig
4. Create a new site column to be associated with this new content type. Call it “folder order” and make it a number column. See in fig
5. Now go on your library settings and click on advanced settings. Change “allow management of content types” to yes. See in fig
6. In the library settings “content types” section, click to add an existing content type, and pick that created by you call “My new folder”. See in fig
7. Now in library advanced settings, change Display “New Folder” command on the New menu to No. See in fig
8. Now add the existing site column in your library. See in fig
9. Now in the “new” document drop-down box there is the ability to create a new folder, and that new folder has a “Sort order” column. See in fig
10. Now add the column with the order. See in fig.
11. Now see the folder structure before the sort order.
12. Now sort the folder by folder order column from document library settings. See in fig
13. Now see the folder structure sorted by folder. See in fig
Here we discussed how to sort folders in SharePoint document library. The same way we can sort folders in SharePoint 2010 document library, sort folders in SharePoint 2013 document library, sort folders in SharePoint 2016 document library or sort folders in SharePoint online document library.
Download FREE SharePoint 2019 Installation PDF Guide
This FREE PDF contains, Steps by step guide to install SharePoint 2019 Preview, prerequisites, hardware and software new features. First impression to SharePoint Server 2019 new modern site, modern lists and modern document libraries.
I am Navneet Singh, Working at C3it software solutions pvt. ltd. in Pune. My core skills are SharePoint 2013, Office 365, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint Designer, SharePoint Designer Workflow, Nintex Workflow, Infopath, Webpart, CSOM/SSOM, Power-shell, C#, ASP.NET and SQL Server.
Your FREESharePoint Online Ebook is on its way to your Email Inbox. **************** You will get notification on FREE SharePoint online training, SharePoint webinars, Video Tutorial & also latest FREE PDF tutorials