This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to sort folders in the SharePoint document library.
In SharePoint, we can create a document library to store documents. And to organize documents we can create folders inside a document library in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online.
Recently while working in a SharePoint 2010 application, we created a document library in SharePoint and created various folders inside it. Now as per the requirement we need to sort folders in the document library. Here we will discuss how we can sort SharePoint 2010 document library folders.
Sort folders in SharePoint document library
For this, we have to first create a custom “Folder” content type in SharePoint 2010. Follow the steps:
Open your SharePoint site, Go to Site Settings. See in fig
Click on Site Content Types. See in fig
Now click on Create and give the name, what you want. In Parent content type = “folder content type” and then “folder”. See in fig.
Create a new site column to be associated with this new content type. Call it “folder order” and make it a number column. See in fig
Now go on your library settings and click on advanced settings. Change “allow management of content types” to yes. See in fig
In the library settings “content types” section, click to add an existing content type, and pick that created by you call “My new folder”. See in fig
Now in library advanced settings, change Display “New Folder” command on the New menu to No. See in fig
Now add the existing site column in your library. See in fig
Now in the “new” document drop-down box there is the ability to create a new folder, and that new folder has a “Sort order” column. See in fig
Now add the column with the order. See in fig.
Now see the folder structure before the sort order.
Now sort the folder by folder order column from document library settings. See in fig
Now see the folder structure sorted by folder. See in fig
You may like following SharePoint document library tutorials:
- Upload documents from network drive to SharePoint 2013/2016 Server document library using PowerShell
- Download files from SharePoint document library using PowerShell
- SharePoint 2016 crud operations using Rest API and jQuery on list or document library
- Migrate files with a folder structure to SharePoint 2013 document library using PowerShell
- Different between SharePoint list and Document library
- Upload a Document to a SharePoint 2013 Library Using Client Side Object Model
- SharePoint 2013 Document library checkboxes missing after migration from Moss 2007 to SharePoint 2013
- Configure unique document ids for SharePoint 2013 document library
Here we discussed how to sort folders in the SharePoint document library. The same way we can sort folders in SharePoint 2010 document library, sort folders in SharePoint 2013 document library, sort folders in SharePoint 2016 document library or sort folders in SharePoint online document library.
I am Navneet Singh, Working at C3it software solutions pvt. ltd. in Pune. My core skills are SharePoint 2013, Office 365, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint Designer, SharePoint Designer Workflow, Nintex Workflow, Infopath, Webpart, CSOM/SSOM, Power-shell, C#, ASP.NET and SQL Server.