In this post, we will discuss how to resolve an issue which comes while trying to Save Site as Template in SharePoint 2016. Recently when I was trying to save the site a template I got the below error:
Sorry, something went wrong.
Sorry, this site can’t be saved as a template. It contains apps that don’t work in templates: <App name>
The error was coming while trying to Save site as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016, because there were two SharePoint hosted add-ins or apps are deployed to the SharePoint site. This issue actually comes when you have apps, that can not be saved as a part of the site template.
For a workaround, you can remove the apps or add-in from the site collection and then save the site as a template.
Once you have Saved the template, after that you can re-add the apps to the site in SharePoint 2013/2016.
You may like following SharePoint site tutorials:
- Activate Group Work Site Template in SharePoint 2013
- Site definition vs Site template in SharePoint 2013/2010
- Identify Site Template Id used in SharePoint 2010 site
- New Page option not appearing under Site Actions menu for sites created using Blank Site Template in SharePoint 2010
- How to find which template is used for a site in SharePoint Online Office 365
- Enable Save Site as Template option in Publishing Site in SharePoint Online using PowerShell
- Save site as template SharePoint online missing solution
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains how to resolve Sorry this site can not be saved as a template. It contains apps that do not work in templates error in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.