Site permissions not working after migrating from moss 2007 to sharepoint 2013
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, how we can resolve access denied issue while migrating from Moss 2007 to SharePoint 2013. Recently we were working on a migration project from Moss 2007 to SharePoint 2013 using the database upgrade approach. We first migrated from moss 2007 to SharePoint 2010 and then from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013. Then we verify using System Account and everything was appearing correctly. But when users start visiting the site they get access denied error.
The default authentication in SharePoint 2013 is Claims authentication, so when we create a web application in SharePoint 2013 it considers as claims users.
In MOSS 2007 the users come in Domain\UserName format and in SharePoint 2013 the users account format comes as i:0#.w|domain\username. So when SharePoint tried to search the user in the traditional format, it did not find the user and it gave access denied.
So for this, we have to convert claims format. So better is to do this conversion in SharePoint 2010 environment not in SharePoint 2013 directly or not in production directly.
Below is the PowerShell to convert classic mode web applications to claims mode authentication in SharePoint 2010.
$WebAppName = “https://WebApplicationURL”
$wa = get-SPWebApplication $WebAppName
$wa.UseClaimsAuthentication = $true
Below is the PowerShell command which will convert the users to claims format.
$webapplication = Get-SPWebApplication -Identity “https://WebApplicationURL”
Once doing everything, then you can move from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013.
You may like following SharePoint migration tutorials:
- Lotus Notes to SharePoint Migration-Your FAQs Answered
- Free SharePoint Migration Tool from Microsoft step by step migration from SharePoint 2016 on premise to SharePoint Online
- [Video Tutorial] Free SharePoint Migration Tool from Microsoft
- Lotus Notes to SharePoint Migration Blog
- SharePoint 2013 migration issues File not found and 404 not found issue
- How to work with content type column in calculated field in SharePoint 2013 after migrating from Moss 2007?
- Out of box workflows not appearing SharePoint 2013 after migrating from MOSS 2007
- SharePoint 2013 Document library checkboxes missing after migration from Moss 2007 to SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2010 to 2013 migration Custom New Folder in Ribbon Disabled
Hope this will be helpful, but do not try this in the production environment directly.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)