Today while doing our regular BAU of monitoring the server space. I have got a Tivoli alert which is configured to alarm you when there is low disk space.
The issue was while looking at the drive space the total of 199 GB was showing as used space and total storage space occupied by files and folder was 58 GB on the drive. Where is the rest of the space occupied? Strange….???
- Unhide the system’s hidden files. Not occupying the space.
- Checked the file size of the files and folder stored. Not occupying the space.
- Checked the Volume shadow copies of all the drives. No disk is mounted to be used as Shadow copies. All drive status is set to ‘Disabled’.
I came across a very nice article which talks about the various ways to check if there is a mismatch in the drive space.
Step 6 from the above article was the resolution for my problem.
Running VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE to find out, which drive is having the total used space as a volume shadow copy.
132 GB of storage space was occupied by C Drive.
Limiting the Maximum size of the storage area in Shadow copies had released the space allocated.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Get SharePoint 2013 Server Disk Space using PowerShell
- SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint Online Migration Steps using Metalogix tool
- PSConfig Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException Issue in SharePoint
- Shrink SharePoint config database transaction log files
- Get Content DataBase Size Using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013
- Unable to create or access workbook cache
- A timeout 30000 milliseconds was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the SPWriterV4 service
- The data management gateway host service terminated unexpectedly
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.