This SharePoint tutorial, we will see the SHAREPOINT\System account in SharePoint. This is the account which we use in SharePoint on-premises versions like SharePoint 2010/2013/2016 etc.
Most of the time we will see data has been modified under the name as SHAREPOINT\System account. Here are some pointers about the System account.
SharePoint System Account
- SHAREPOINT\Systemaccount is the same account used by the application pool of your SharePoint web application in IIS at the time of creation or extension of the respective web application.
- This is the account that is used when you run your code under elevated privileges by SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges.
- RunWithElevatedPrivileges executes the specified method with Full Control rights even if the user does not otherwise have Full Control. Whenever we use SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges (), it will execute the code under the context of Application Pool identity.
- When you create/extend a web application in SharePoint and specify an Application Pool then the identity (Network Account) used by that Application pool becomes the SHAREPOINT\System account.
- It is highly recommended that the end-user should not be allowed to use this account to avoid unexpected errors.
- If you change the identity of the App Pool account after creating or extending the SharePoint web application, the new account will not become the SHAREPOINT\System.
Add an email address to System Account in SharePoint
Now, we will see how to add an email address to System Account in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016. We can set the email address from the browser.
Follow the below steps to add an email address in System Account in SharePoint 2013:
Click on System Account and then click on My Settings as shown in the fig below:
This will open the User Information page. Then click on Edit Item link there.
Then in the Edit Personal Settings screen Enter the E-mail as shown in the fig below.
Here, we learned about the SharePoint System account. And, we saw how to add email address to System Account in SharePoint.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.