All about Publishing Infrastructure Feature in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss Publishing Infrastructure Feature in SharePoint, how to enable Publishing Infrastructure Feature in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online? Why and when we need SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature? Disadvantages/pitfalls by enabling SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature.
I would like to enlighten more is “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature” in SharePoint. Most of us know that in SharePoint we have many features come by default and I separate them in 3 zones they are:
- Site Actions features
- Site Collection Administration features
- Hidden features
Now let us learn what “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” is and why & when we need it?
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
- 1 What is SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure Feature?
- 2 Why and when we need SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature?
- 3 Steps to enable SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature
- 4 New libraries & new features added after enabling publishing feature
- 5 Disadvantages/pitfalls by enabling SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature
- 6 Conclusion
As the name says this feature is more to organize all the infrastructure-related elements to ensure your site more aligned as per the user requirement. When I say user requirement user should be able to do minimal changes without relying on the technical support team.
While we create a site collection we can select which template to be chosen as per the user requirement. To be more precise an architect / technical lead has to consider “Publishing Portal” if the user looks for any of the below aspects/features:
- Site should be public facing with anonymous access
- Facilitate inheriting site themes and branding
- Ability to build handy navigation or tweak the Out Of the Box navigation
- Provision to move/copy the content across the sites in a site collection
- Advanced wiki features like rating and tagging
- Enable publishing layouts & Enterprise wiki layouts
- Make use of Content Search Query Web part to roll up content
Note: These features will come by default with “Publishing Portal” Site collection template.
Now the question comes, if we do not create a site collection with “publishing Portal” and created with “Team Site” template how to make use of these features??? This is where we need to enable “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” part of Site Collection Administration features in Team site get all the above features.
Log-on to Site with Site Collection admin / FARM account. Then click on the gear icon and then click on “Site Settings” option to navigate to the site settings page.
Click on Site collection feature (under Site Collection Administration) in the Site Settings page.
Locate the “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” and click on the “Activate” button to activate the SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature.
Note: It will take 5 to 10 min time as it needs to enable various dependent features and options.
New libraries & new features added after enabling publishing feature
You can see below the new libraries and new features added to the site after enabling the publishing feature.
Like as any other feature in SharePoint this also some disadvantages in enabling this feature. When you enable this feature along with getting above explained new feature it will shut down the below options.
- Save Site as template (under Site Actions in Site Settings)
- Admin has to be more vigilant while administering the site as we see too many new options
I recommend you to stay away from publishing features unless you absolutely need them.
In most cases, you don’t need Publishing features enabled in your SharePoint Intranet.
Yes, you don’t get to inherit the theme from the parent, and it might take you extra time to do it manually but if you enable you will lose the ability to save sites as templates. So keep it simple and stay away from publishing features unless there is a solid reason!
You may like following SharePoint feature tutorials:
- How to activate publishing feature in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell Script
- Activate SharePoint Server Publishing Feature programmatically using CSOM
- SharePoint 2016 Develop and deploy custom feature using Visual Studio 2015
- Cross site publishing in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013/2016: PowerShell check if feature is activated
- Enable Site and Web Features CSOM PowerShell Script Office 365 SharePoint 2013
- Get SharePoint Feature IDs using PowerShell in SharePoint 2010/2013/2016
- Difference between Team site and Publishing site in SharePoint 2013
- Powershell and STSADM command to install activate feature SharePoint 2010/2013/2016
You might need publishing features if you do custom coding and themes or roll-up content via the custom search query. If you desire an ability to inherit master pages and themes from the parent site to subsites seamlessly. Hope this helps, enjoy administration in SharePoint 2013.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.