This SharePoint 2016 tutorial explains, SharePoint Server 2016 installation step by step. I have completed a Single-Server installation of SharePoint Server 2016 with a Database Server on a separate machine. I am sharing the installation details here which can be helpful for many who are new to SharePoint. The installation is similar to the older versions of SharePoint except for MinRoleTopolgy which is introduced for the first time in SharePoint 2016.
If you are new to SharePoint 2016, then you can check out below tutorials:
- SharePoint 2016 new and improved features
- SharePoint 2016 installation errors
- Browsers Supported in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- Configure alternate access mappings SharePoint 2016 step by step
- How to create web application SharePoint 2016?
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
If you are planning to install SharePoint 2016, we should have to follow the minimum hardware and software requirements for SharePoint 2016. There are different installation scenarios and for each installation scenario, you should have sufficient disk space for diagnostics such as logging, debugging, creating memory dumps etc..
Below are few System Requirements for SharePoint 2016 for different installation scenarios. SharePoint server 2016 installation requires 64-bit, 4 cores processor and RAM 12 to 24 GB.
|Installation Scenario||Deployment type||Processor||RAM||Hard disk|
|Single server role that uses SQL Server||Development environment with minimum recommended services for development environments.||64-bit, 4 cores||16 GB||80 GB for system drive100 GB for second drive|
|Single server role that uses SQL Server||User acceptance test installation of SharePoint Server 2016 running all available services for development environments.||64-bit, 4 cores||24 GB||80 GB for system drive100 GB for second drive and additional drives|
|Web server or application server in a three-tier farm||Development environment of SharePoint Server 2016 with a minimum number of services||64-bit, 4 cores||12 GB||80 GB for system drive80 GB for second drive|
|Web server or application server in a three-tier farm||User acceptance test (UAT) or production deployment of SharePoint Server 2016 running all available services||64-bit, 4 cores||16 GB||80 GB for system drive80 GB for second drive and additional drives|
Below are the software requirements for SharePoint Server 2016 installation.
SharePoint server 2016 supports below operating systems.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Datacenter
- Windows Server 2016 Standard or Datacenter
Below are the database servers supported in SharePoint 2016.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 (SP1) 64 Bit
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016 RTM
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017 RTM for Windows
.Net Framework Requirement:
.Net framework is different for the different operating systems.
- For Windows Server 2012 R2 the .Net framework will be .NET Framework 4.5.2
- For Windows Server 2016 the .Net framework will be .NET Framework 4.6
Below are the prerequisites required to be installed before installing SharePoint 2016. All these will be installed when you run prerequisitesinstaller.exe.
- Web Server (IIS) role
- Application Server role
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 Native Client
- Microsoft WCF Data Services 5.6
- Microsoft Identity Extensions
- Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client (MSIPC)
- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Server AppFabric 1.1
- Cumulative Update Package 7 for Microsoft AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server (KB 3092423)
- Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2012
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2015
Download SharePoint server 2016 and mount to server
Go the directory where do you have your installation files. Then click on Install software prerequisites to start Prerequisite tools installer or you can find out the Prerequisite.exe file and run as Administrator.
It will start the product preparation tool do next and install this, once this will finish server will get restart.
Go the directory where do you have your installation files. Find out the setup.exe file and run as Administrator. On the “Enter Your Product Key” screen, fill your product key then press the “Continue” button (SharePoint Server 2016).
Below are SharePoint server 2016 trial keys:
- Enterprise trial product key: NQGJR-63HC8-XCRQH-MYVCH-3J3QR
- Standard trial product key: RTNGH-MQRV6-M3BWQ-DB748-VH7DM
On the Choose a file location screen, verify the installation path that you want to store system files.
Click Install to start installation progress.
Once the installation will finish don’t run the SharePoint 2016 Products and Configuration Wizard, Close wizard and run the configuration wizard.
Click the “Yes” button on the warning box. Then On the following screen, check on “Create a new server farm” radio button then click the “Next” button.
On the “Specify Configuration Database Settings” screen, fill the corresponding “Database server” and “Database name” information. With the “Database Access Account”.
Fill “Passphrase” on the following screen, remember to note the “Passphrase” for using later.
On the Specify Server Role, select which kind of server role that you want to deploy this server to the farm. In this deployment, I would like to deploy as Single Server Farm for testing and development purposes. Select “Single-Server Farm” and click Next.
On the following screen, you can check on the “Specify port number” checkbox to specify the port number of the central admin site, if not, the port number will be a default number. Check on the “NTLM” radio button then click the “Next” button to continue.
Click Next to preview the configuration summary.
Then, click next. The configuration process will progress.
Checked from the Database server, there are 2 databases created. Noted that in the previous version, in this step only 1 Configuration database will be created. From SharePoint 2016, Another database name was created SharePoint_AdminContent_GUIID.
Once the installation will finish, the Automatic Central admin site will get open as below.
Cancel Start wizard and click on the SharePoint central administrator.
You may like following SharePoint 2016 tutorials:
- SharePoint 2016 Error New-SPConfigurationDatabase some or all identity references could not be translated Supply values for parameter Credential
- SharePoint 2016 New-SPConfigurationDatabase Some or all identity references could not be translated
- SharePoint 2016 New-SPConfigurationDatabase Server role parameter is required when creating or joining a farm
- SharePoint 2013 Windows server AppFabric installation Error
- A system restart from a previous installation or update is pending error in SharePoint
- User Information List in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010
- The database engine instance you selected is not valid for this edition of reporting services
- Design manager is missing in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- HTTP 401.1 Access Denied in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Install and configure SQL server reporting services (SSRS) in SharePoint 2013/2016
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned how to install SharePoint server 2016 step by step.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.