Here we will discuss sharepoint 2016 requirements, minimum hardware and software requirements for installing SharePoint server 2016. Microsoft released SharePoint 2016 with lots of new features as well as Microsoft deprecated few features in SharePoint 2016. Read about: SharePoint 2016 new features.
If you are planning to install SharePoint 2016, we should have to follow the minimum hardware and software requirements for SharePoint 2016. There are different installation scenarios and for each installation scenario, you should have sufficient disk space for diagnostics such as logging, debugging, creating memory dumps etc.
Below are few System Requirements for SharePoint 2016 for different installation scenarios. SharePoint server 2016 installation requires 64-bit, 4 cores processor and RAM 12 to 24 GB.
|Installation Scenario||Deployment type||Processor||RAM||Hard disk|
|Single server role that uses SQL Server||Development environment with minimum recommended services for development environments.||64-bit, 4 cores||16 GB||80 GB for system drive
100 GB for second drive
|Single server role that uses SQL Server||User acceptance test installation of SharePoint Server 2016 running all available services for development environments.||64-bit, 4 cores||24 GB||80 GB for system drive
100 GB for second drive and additional drives
|Web server or application server in a three-tier farm||Development environment of SharePoint Server 2016 with a minimum number of services||64-bit, 4 cores||12 GB||80 GB for system drive
80 GB for second drive
|Web server or application server in a three-tier farm||User acceptance test (UAT) or production deployment of SharePoint Server 2016 running all available services||64-bit, 4 cores||16 GB||80 GB for system drive
80 GB for second drive and additional drives
Software requirements for SharePoint Server 2016 installation:
Below are the Software requirements for SharePoint Server 2016 installation.
SharePoint server 2016 supports below operating systems.
– Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Datacenter
– Windows Server 2016 Standard or Datacenter
Below are the database servers supported in SharePoint 2016.
– Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 (SP1) 64 Bit
– Microsoft SQL Server 2016 RTM
– Microsoft SQL Server 2017 RTM for Windows
.Net Framework Requirement:
.Net framework is different for different operating system.
For Windows Server 2012 R2 the .Net framework will be .NET Framework 4.5.2
For Windows Server 2016 the .Net framework will be .NET Framework 4.6
Prerequisites for SharePoint 2016:
Below are the prerequisites required to be installed before installing SharePoint 2016. All these will be installed when you run prerequisitesinstaller.exe.
– Web Server (IIS) role
– Application Server role
– Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6
– Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 Native Client
– Microsoft WCF Data Services 5.6
– Microsoft Identity Extensions
– Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client (MSIPC)
– Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64)
– Windows Server AppFabric 1.1
– Cumulative Update Package 7 for Microsoft AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server (KB 3092423)
– Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server
– Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2012
– Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2015
Also, you can read: SharePoint 2016 supported browsers
Hope this article will be helpful.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)