New information available for SharePoint 2016 can be classified in 4 categories:
|Installation Scenario||Memory / RAM||Processor||Hard Disk|
|Single Server*||16-24 GB||64-bit, 4 cores||80 GB|
|Farm Server||12-16 GB||64-bit, 4 cores||80 GB|
|Database Server||Refer system requirement for 64-bit version of SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 or SQL|
*There is a built in SQL Server. You need to install a separate SQL Express/Developer or any other edition even for development server.
– Any one of Windows Server 2012 R2 | Windows Server 10
– Windows Management Framework 3.0
– Application Server Role
– Web Server (IIS) Role
– Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (in on Windows Server 10, then Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.6)
– Update for the .NET Framework 4 (KB2898850)
– Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client
– Microsoft Identity Extensions
– Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64)
– Windows Server AppFabric v1.1 (MS is planning tend AppFabric, but it will be supported for SP 2013 and 2016).
– Windows Identity Foundation v1.1
– Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client
– Microsoft WCF Data Services.
Upgrade and Migration
– Upgrade path is from 2013 t2016
– Upgrade 14.5 mode site t15 mode and then upgrade
– Allow the same database attach upgrade process
– Migrate Content t2016 (using migration APIs or partner tools)
– Windows Identity over SAML claims
– Trying to normalize on oAuth/OpenID standards
– Allow using non-default ports
– Allowing to use STARTTLS connection encryption.
Reliability, Performance and scalability:
– Moving from SharePoint 2013 based job enable / disable to predefined set of logic executing on a machine (Termed as MinRole Topology)
– New Server Roles in SharePoint 2016
- Special Load – custom service applications, services, third party components which are outside of MinRole Topology
- Web Front End – services end user requests. Servers are optimized for low latency
- Search – service application provisioning, indexing service and other search components.
- Application – services backend jobs or requests triggered by backend jobs. Servers are optimized for high throughput
- Distributed Cache – servers distributed cache for the farm.
- Single Server Farm – for development purpose, configure (excluding SQL Server) all services on one server.
– New Service categories in SharePoint 2016
- User Services
- Robot Services
- Caching Services
– Server Role and Health Analyzer
– Patching Updates
- Content DB size up tTB’s (not yet identified the limit)
- 100K sites per site collection
- List view threshold > 5000 items
- Upload file size up t10 GB and removed character restrictions
- Search scaling up t500 M items.
- Use BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) for better file performance
- Create faster site collections at database level using the standard site template saved as site.
- Remove feature activation overhead
- Bi-directional sync using external FIM service. Nbuilt in FIM anymore.
- Still require separate Project Server Licensing, but SharePoint and Project Server content database is merged.
- New sharing URLs are resources Id based, thus renaming file, moving file will not break the link already shared.
- daily active users
- Weekly active users
- Usage by browser
- Usage by agent
- Usage by OS
- Storage by site template
- Daily storage
- File type
- Storage breakout
- This showcase the feasibility of bringing same compliance system ton-premises which works well in O365 with Azure RMS.
- Discover and preserve with hybrid eDiscovery.
- This unifies the on-premises and cloud data search from one search center.
- This also adds value to Office Graph / Delve textend the presence on on-premises.
- This can alsleave search running in cloud only while indexing from on-premises and online.
- Making easier to maintain and publish sites to Internet.
- Using O365 Identity federation services.
- Separate the data in either on-premises or in cloud
- Follow sites, documents or people in on-premises and master the information in cloud.
- Allowing ODF files creation.
- Hybrid deployment automation
- Select the Hybrid configuration required and use automated and wizard driven information to setup Hybrid (forget the lengthy procedures and PowerShell scripts to run)
Note: Here we are going for single server farm server
1.3 Hardware Requirements
|Processor||64-bit, four cores (small deployments)
64-bit, eight cores (medium deployments)
|RAM||12 GB (small deployments)
24 GB (medium deployments)
1.4 Software Requirements
In order to deploy SharePoint 2016 beta 2 you need the 64-bit edition of one of the following operating Systems:
- Windows Server 2012 R2 – Standard
- Microsoft SQL server 2014 SP1
III. Microsoft .net framework 4.5