This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to use Metadata navigation settings in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online list and document library.
If you are working with a very large list then it is always challenging to solve the issue which comes, an issue like threshold limit and then to showing different views according to user requirements.
Before reading these articles, you can check this article List threshold issues in sharepoint 2013 list.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Manage navigation helps users to dynamically filter and search items in list and libraries by using a filter condition which comes in the left navigation on the page.
If you configure Metadata navigation for a list or document library then one Key Filters control will be displayed in the left side of the page. Whatever columns you have configures all those columns will appear in the Key Filter.
Open your SharePoint 2013 list or document library. Then click on the List Settings in the Ribbon. This will open the List settings page. There check for “Metadata navigation settings” in the General Settings, sometimes you did not find this like below:
For this click on the Site settings icon and then click on Site settings. Then from the Site Actions click on “Manage site features“. This will open the Site Features page, in that page search for “Metadata Navigation and Filtering” feature and then activate it.
Now open the list, go to the list settings and in the General Settings page, you will be able to see “Metadata navigation settings” link like below:
Once the Metadata navigation settings will appear, click on the link to configure this. It will open the Metadata Navigation Settings page.
In that page go to the “Configure Key Filters” section. In the left side, it will show what are the Key Filter Fields are available. And you can choose from them, In my case, I have added the Age and EmpID fields. Here it will not display all the fields, but it will display the below type of fields:
- Content Type
- Choice Field
- Managed Metadata Field
- Person or Group Field
- Date and Time Field
- Number Field
It will appear like below:
Now click on OK. Now Open your list (AllItems view) and you will be able to see the Key Filters Section in the left-hand side below to Site Contents.
You can put the value and then choose the criteria and then click on the Apply button, you will be able to see the filtered results. It will appear like below:
In this case, the result will appear from the whole list. Suppose you have put pagination, then if Filter criteria match then it will display result beyond the pagination.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Create Navigation with managed metadata service SharePoint 2013
- The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started. Please contact your Administrator
- Configure and Consume Managed Metadata Service Application in SharePoint 2013
- How to create and configure metadata navigation and filtering SharePoint Online?
- Create a responsive navigation menu using managed metadata navigation in SharePoint server 2013
- Managed metadata service in SharePoint 2013/2016
- SharePoint 2016 BCS error The metadata object that has Name your name has a Property with name AuthenticationMode and value RevertToSelf.
- Working with Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings for List and Document library in SharePoint Online
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains sharepoint metadata navigation settings.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.