This SharePoint customization tutorial, we will discuss how to group a SharePoint document library by year created in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online. This is applicable to both SharePoint list and document library.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Open the SharePoint document library and then go to the LIBRARY tab and then click on Settings Icon and then Library Settings. Then go to the Columns and click on Create Column.
Then give the Column name and chose the calculated column and then in the Formula box type =Year(Created). Then The data type returned from this formula is Number as shown in the fig below:
Now go to the Views section and then click on Create View and then Choose Standard View from the view type. This will open the Create View page. Give a name for the view.
Then go to the Group By and then the First group by the column: select the column name which we have created. It will appear like below:
Then click on OK and now check the view it will appear like below:
Similarly, if you want to do a group by based on month-wise then while creating the column (calculated column), in the formula write like below:
And the list view will appear like below:
In this case, create 2 columns one for a month and one for a year like above. Also, use the same formula which we have written above. Now got to the view and then go to the Group By and there give on Year in the first and Month in second like below.
Now it will appear like below:
You may like following SharePoint customization tutorials:
- Add JSLink in Task List View in SharePoint Online
- Change default list view style using CSS in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- SharePoint List View Threshold: Your FAQs Answered
- Change the SharePoint List View into JQuery News Ticker Using JS Link CSR
- SharePoint 2013 jslink list view examples: Add header and footer to list view web part using JSLink in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Customize list view using jslink in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Change width of list view column in SharePoint 2013 using SharePoint designer 2013
- SharePoint 2016/Online List View Auto Indexing Automatic Index Management
- Delete SharePoint list view and set a list view as default view using PowerShell
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains, how to group SharePoint document library by Year and Month Created in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.