SharePoint Interview Questions and Answers, sharepoint online interview questions, sharepoint 2013 interview questions, sharepoint 2013 interview questions and answers, sharepoint 2010 interview questions, sharepoint 2013 interview questions and answers for experienced developers, sharepoint interview questions
What is SharePoint?
– SharePoint is a Microsoft enterprise information portal. It can be configured to run Intranet, Extranet and Internet sites.
– SharePoint allows people to connect and collaborate.
– A SharePoint enterprise portal is composed of SharePoint Portal and Windows SharePoint Services.
– SharePoint Server is designed medium to large company-wide enterprise portal.
What is MS SharePoint is used for?
MS SharePoint is used for multiple purposes, and it acts as a back-end system that combines all your employees PC’s and mobile device together allowing them to communicate symmetrically.
– Share documents: It allows to store and share documents by anyone in the company also it allows to work on a single document by several employees at the same time using SharePoint document libraries.
– Intranet: Dashboards can be customized by department and access to all employees are given to check the regular updates into the company
– Extranet: With the help of SharePoint, you can provide an outside company space or a site to upload all the information your company may require from them
– Websites: You can use SharePoint to manage and build a public facing site as well. As a website CMS (Content Management System), SharePoint enables you to sign in and make changes to your pages
– Business Intelligence: SharePoint allows you to organize the data to make better decision making and display relationship between different inputs through charts and graphs
– Collaboration: Through SharePoint, employees can be interlinked with each other and co-ordinate their efforts on ongoing projects. You can monitor constant access to information of project statuses, locations, and schedules of co-workers and anything that is related to project.
What SharePoint development tool works best to create custom workflows?
A candidate that jumps right to SharePoint Designer as an answer may not be well-versed on building complex workflows. The more thoughtful candidate will include a reference to Visual Studio, which allows the workflow to be installed at multiple locations and can include more than 20 steps in the workflow process. Additionally, only Visual Studio allows for workflow to move back and forth between status changes. Using SharePoint Designer, work only moves forward through states, never backward. This can be problematic when you need to send something backward in the process. The SharePoint 2010 Development Tutorial covers the new tools offered through Visual Studio, along with many other additions to the 2010 software product. Read Create SharePoint workflows using SharePoint designer 2013
How is SharePoint 2010 capable to handle multiple organizations on a single server?
– SharePoint 2010 provides n-tier scalable with the server farm that runs the multiple organizations on a single server.
– SharePoint 2010 gives an additional functionality to setup the platform that can be used for cloud computing as the part of the Business.
– It allows the development to be done on a single server so that multiple organizations can be setup in synchronization with each other.
– It provides the provision to build a site that is designed to be run on a server and used by other users at the same time.
– It has a central location for management and performs activities that can be given in an organization.
What is new for end users in SharePoint 2013?
In SharePoint 2013, one of them is a new way of assigning permissions. You can assign the permissions from the home page of the site and can use “Share” button on the top right corner. Read SharePoint 2013 new features for developers and SharePoint 2016 new features for developers.
Share –Assigning permission
– A pop-up will come up as soon as you tap on the “Share” button
– A pop-up window will be opened with share “site name”
– Under INVITE PEOPLE TO “EDIT”, you can add the people you want to give access or permissions
– You can choose the permission levels from the available groups by scrolling down the arrow mark and finally click on share. It will enable the user to edit the file.
In document library drag and Drop of files
– One of the new features for end users is drag and drop files facility in SharePoint 2013. Once you drag and drop the file it will display the status bar for the user. It will show the file status uploaded once the uploading is completed.
What are some of the key differences between SharePoint 2007 and 2010?
Any candidate that is truly a SharePoint expert will immediately mention some of the new tools introduced in 2010. For example:
– Service Applications
– Business Connectivity Services
– Claims Based Authentication
– Sandboxed Solutions
– Developer Dashboard
– Throttling and List Controls
What is Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server?
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is a collaborative enterprise portal that is built upon WSS 3.0. MOSS 2007 allows people, teams and expertise to connect and collaborate. Unlike WSS, SharePoint Server is not free and requires an additional license. MOSS 2007 comes in two versions – Standard and Enterprise. The main components of SharePoint 2007 are collaboration, portals, enterprise search, enterprise content management, business process and forms, and business intelligence.
How can you create a Task Notifications Workflow in SharePoint?
In SharePoint, these are the steps you could implement to create a Task Notifications Workflow
– Open SharePoint designer and create a new task list
– Under TASK LIST Create, a list workflow associated to the Task List
– Set the term and condition, if the current item priority is high and sends e-mail
– Mention the mailing address of “Assigned To” and add the subject with a look up to the recent item title and a link to the Task list’s edit form and the current task ID
– Activate the workflow to start each time a new item is created
– Publish the workflow [Read Deploy SharePoint 2013 designer workflow into production in SharePoint online]
How would you handle a bulk upload?
If a candidate ever suggests uploading directly to SharePoint databases, you can quickly eliminate them from your hiring pool. Even a brief introductory course, like SharePoint 2010 Introduction, covers the use of libraries and lists for data management. Uploading directly to SharePoint databases is very much like doing your own oil changes on a brand new car. It might be faster and more convenient in the short-term, but in the long-term it voids your warranty. Microsoft offers absolutely no support when you directly modify a SharePoint database.
What are the use-cases involved in Microsoft SharePoint 2010?
– Use-cases are the pre-defined applications that are used when a service is requested to provide the functionality.
– SharePoint 2010 provides the use-case like process integration, and system integration to make it more useful for the users to use and program in it.
– Sharepoint 2010 have the processing power for workflow automation through which the load on particular services gets distributed.
– It provides core infrastructure for the third party solutions like ERP, CRM, and other social media that helps the user to integrate it easily and in very less time.
– It processes more complex functionality by providing the enterprise package to build the web applications.
What are the new features of SharePoint 2013?
New features in SharePoint includes
– Ability to follow people, sites, tags and documents
– Company or organization feeds
– Preview of files and documents straight into the news feed
– For group sharing and collaboration use of @ and hashtags
– Complete integration of social feature with window phone 7 and 8
– New site definition for communities which have many promising features like moderation, discussion, reputation model, membership, etc.
– Security and document activity updates in the feed
– Facility to follow data integration with consolidated feeds web part
– Improved discussion forums [Read an article on New Features of SharePoint 2013]
How is SharePoint Portal Server different from the Site Server?
It becomes difficult to keep a track of the large amount of documents with the growth of companies. SharePoint lets these be stored centrally. So instead of having them shared via emails, Sharepoint allows an easy access to the members by storing the files at one place. SharePoint allows anyone to create sites for use within their company’s Intranet
How to create a list in SharePoint 2013?
In SharePoint to create a list, from the setting menu
– Tap on “Add an app” link to add a custom list
– It will open your Apps section under “Site Contents”
– Now click on “Custom List” under your Apps
– Enter a Description and Name of the list and click on create. This will create a list in SharePoint. Read [Create Custom List in SharePoint 2013]
What is the main purpose of Microsoft Sharepoint 2010?
– Microsoft Sharepoint 2010 provides an application platform that allows building web content management systems.
– It allows the configuration to be done in an easy way and provide the solution areas for web applications and document management systems.
– It is a multi-purpose design that allows the use of design, management, scaling and provisioning to be done for business applications.
– It consists of layers that is managed and abstracted from the web server to enable the business users to take the advantage of the technical aspects of web development environment.
– Its purpose is to provide pre-defined applications with proper functionality like intranet portals, extranets, and websites and file management applications.
What does the content database handle in SharePoint?
The SharePoint database handles
– Published reports
– Reports models
– Shared data sources
How is security managed in SharePoint?
SharePoint can run under various IIS modes to authenticate its users. The modes include: Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows or Certificates Authentication (over SSL).
SharePoint security facilitates the regulation of access privileges of users and groups as well.
.NET Impersonation which is utilized by SharePoint allows an application to run under the context of the client accessing an application.
Deployment and Code Access Security
.NET Code Access Security (CAS) provides a security model. It can restrict the operations that can be performed as well as the resources that can be accessed by managed code.
What is new for end users in SharePoint 2013?
In SharePoint 2013, one of them is a new way of assigning permissions. You can assign the permissions from the home page of the site and can use “Share” button on the top right corner.
What is CAML?
CAML stands for Collaborative Application Mark-up Language. CAML is used to define tables in the Windows SharePoint Services database during site provisioning. [CAML SharePoint Example: CAML Query for boolean field SharePoint object model CSOM]
Explain how to manage projects in SharePoint?
To manage projects SharePoint offers many facilities like
– Dashboards: The dashboards consist of customs KPIs; reports and graphs give you status updates at a glance
– Scheduling tools: Update and assign multi-level tasks from a Gantt view calendar
– Personalization: Filter out projects and tasks that don’t affect your project
– Resources: It is helpful in tracking cost, display availability and report of hours worked
– Alerting: Keep team alert about various activities related to project and to remind about various important meeting and seminars
What is a SharePoint site definition?
SharePoint sites consist of numerous Web pages, just like an ASP.NET 2.0 application.
When a site is created, these pages are created as instances in the content database.
The instances refer to the actual file on the file system.
What is the use of Callout function in SharePoint 2013?
SharePoint Callout is one of the latest technology in SharePoint 2013 that is used to make a several types of commands on the SP list like adding new item, update and make a site navigation links, in simple words, it’s a list of commands in one capsule. SP callout is used to apply multiple action and navigation on SP list, without browsing inside the SP list itself. The user can append a new record to the SP list without the need to open the default add new SP list item dialog box. This will make the data updating method faster and flexible.
Explain what is team site and public website in SharePoint?
– Team Site: The team site enables you to invite users by giving them permission to the site or to the external users you explicitly share the site by using the external sharing feature
– Public Website: The public facing website is a site that caters as your organization’s web presence. It has everything you need for designing your site- libraries to store site content such as graphics, logos and design manager for customizing the content and style of your site
What do you mean by MOSS?
– MOSS stands for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server.
– It is the complete version of a portal-based platform for collaboratively creating, managing and sharing documents and Web services.
What is SPSite and SPWeb in SharePoint?
a) SPSite –
1) It is a site collection and can be represented as a SPSite class in the object model.
2) SPSite object is a primary entry point to the server object model.
3) It is used frequently in SharePoint application development.
b) SPWeb –
1) It is a specific site under site collection in Sharepoint.
2) It is represented as SPWeb class in the server object model.
What is a Site template in SharePoint?
1) Site template provides the basic component and layout of a new site to be created in SharePoint.
2) It contains specific design information about a site which includes –
– The list that is part of the site,
– Web part pages used in the site,
– The site’s themes and borders,
– Changes to the quick launch bar,
– Some site content like document libraries
3) It allows to build the SharePoint applications to be instantiated time and again.
What is a Site definition in SharePoint?
1) A site definition is a collection of XML or ASPX files which contains all the necessary components.
2) It contains three files – webTemp.xml, onet.xml, default.aspx.
3) It contains information of web parts, lists, libraries, features, and navigation bars to be included in the site which is packaged in SharePoint solution files (.wsp).
4) Everything packaged into a single file makes the transportation of everything easy.
What is an ONET.xml file in SharePoint?
1) Onet.xml file specifies all the components contained in a site. It is considered as the core of a site definition.
2) It is present at the following location:
%SharePoint Root% \TEMPLATE\SiteTemplates\XML\Onet.xml
What are the various classes in the Server Object Model from a development point of view?
Following are the classes in Server Object Model from a development point of view:
Which class is used to retrieve data from multiple lists?
– SPSiteDataQuery class is used to retrieve data from multiple lists.
– It queries the data from multiple lists across different sites in a collection.
– Usually, it is used in list aggregation, where list data from team sites or other subsites is collated and presented in a single interface.
– It aggregates the data from SharePoint lists only while ignoring data from external lists.
What do you mean by WSP?
– WSP stands for Web Solution Package. It is a cabinet file that contains assemblies, resource files, features, images, application pages, site definitions etc. into a single file.
– Whenever any customization or upgradation or updation is carried out in SharePoint, various items like assemblies, resource files, features, images, application pages, site definitions etc. are required to deploy.
– It becomes difficult to deploy these items separately in development, staging, and production. This called for a powerful deployment tool in the form of WSP.
How is AllowUnsafeUpdates used?
– When a developer updates the content database without requiring a security validation AllowUnsafeUpdates property is set to true.
– One the operation is carrried out, the property is again set to false.
What is CAML?
– CAML also called as Collaborative Application Markup Language is the custom XML language in SharePoint.
– It is used to define key objects such as lists, columns, and content types.
Which is better – SPS or STS?
Before we begin – let us see what do these two abbreviations stand for.
1. SPS means SharePoint Portal Services
2. STS means SharePoint Team Services
– Document management system in SPS is better than STS.
– The search engine in SPS is better, more efficient and possesses the capability to crawl multiple content sources in comparison to STS.
– If Document Management is not required, STS is easier to manage for team environment while SPS is better for an organization where Document Management is required.
Name the various input forms that can be created for a workflow?
– Association form
– Initiation form
– Modification form
– Task edit form.
Differentiate between CustomMasterUrl & MasterUrl?
– MasterUrl is used to change the layout of all end user pages while CustomMasterUrl is used for changing the layout of admin pages.
What are the various zones in SharePoint?
– Zones provide the separate logical paths of authentication for the same web application.
– 5 zones can be created for each web application :
What is Farm in SharePoint?
– Farm is a collection of SharePoint servers with same configuration database.
– All the required information to run the farm is carried in Configuration DB. There exists only one configuration database for each farm.
– Central administration is used for the administration of each farm.
What is WebApplication in SharePoint?
– WebApplicatanon is a IIS website. Content database is created for each WebApplication.
– WebApplication can be created from central admin.
– Once a web application is created, it can be extended to different zones.
What tools can be used to back up a SharePoint 2010 environment?
– SharePoint farm backup and recovery
– SQL Server
What are BDC and BCS in SharePoint?
1) BDC – Also called Business Data Catalogue is used to connect to an external database and read it in SharePoint.
2) BCS – Also called Business connectivity Services is new in SharePoint2010. BCS aids in reading and writing into the external Database.
What are Content types in SharePoint?
– A content type is a WSS type definition which is flexible and reusable.
– It is used to define the columns and behavior for an item in a list or a document in a document library. [Read content type hub in SharePoint 2013]
What is the difference between the document Library and List in SharePoint?
– Library is used to store the document whereas Lists are the container of similar items in the form of rows and columns.
– Core documents like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint can be created using a Library while you can not create a document in a List. List can be used to attach a document. Read on [Different between SharePoint list and Document library]
What do you mean by Field Control?
– Field controls are ASP.NET 2.0 server controls. They provide basic field functionality in SharePoint.
– They also provide basic general functionality such as displaying or editing list data as it appears on SharePoint list pages.
What are the various types of input forms that can be created for a workflow?
Four types of input forms can be created for a workflow:
1. Association form
2. Initiation form
3. Modification form
4. Task edit form
Explain an ancestral type. How is it related to content types?
– An ancestral type is the base type that the content typed is derived from.
– It defines the metadata fields included with the custom content type.
What is Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server?
– SharePoint Portal Server is a portal server that connects people, teams, and knowledge across business processes.
– It integrates information from various systems into one secure solution through single sign-on and enterprise application integration capabilities.
– It provides flexible deployment and management tools, and facilitates end-to-end collaboration through data aggregation, organization, and searching.
– It enables users to quickly find relevant information through customization and personalization of portal content and layout as well as through audience targeting.
What is Custom action in SharePoint?
– It Represents a link, toolbar button, menu item, or any control that can be added to a toolbar or menu appearing in the UI.
– Custom actions are defined through a custom action element within a feature definition file. Custom actions can be bound to a list type, content type, file type, or programmatic identifier (ProgID).
What is Event receiver in SharePoint?
– Event receivers can be defined by using a receiver element within a feature definition file.
– They evaluate an event and define the behavior of an application.
What is a Module in SharePoint?
– A module is a file or collection of file instances which define the location where the files are installed during site creation.
– They are used to implement a Web Part Page in the site.
– Modules can be defined by using a module element within a feature definition file.
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Tutorials: