[Fixed] SharePoint Designer cannot display the item error while trying to edit workflow using SharePoint 2013 designer
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint 2013 designer workflow tutorial explains how to solve SharePoint Designer cannot display the item in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online. The error comes when we try to edit a workflow in SharePoint 2013 designer.
The workflows were migrated from moss 2007 to SharePoint 2013 using database upgrade approach. Those workflows were in the 2010 platform.
When I try to edit or view the workflow using SharePoint 2013 designer, it was giving the below error:
SharePoint designer cannot display the item.
Solution to SharePoint Designer cannot display the item
We tried opening the same workflow in some other system and it opened correctly.
Then we clear SharePoint 2013 designer cache and it worked for us. Before doing this make sure to close SharePoint 2013 designer.
Delete everything but below folders:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SharePoint Designer\ProxyAssemblyCache
Now Restart the SharePoint designer 2013 and try to open the SharePoint workflow. It should work fine.
You may like follow SharePoint designer workflow tutorials:
- [Solved] SharePoint 2013 Designer error The folder name is not valid
- SharePoint 2013 designer workflow changes not updating
- Error were found when compiling the workflow. The workflow files were saved but cannot be run.
- Install and Configure Workflow Manager for SharePoint 2016 in Windows Server 2012 R2 Step by Step tutorial
- [Fixed] Register-SPWorkflowService Workflow XAML failed validation due to the following errors error while registering workflow service SharePoint 2016/2013
- SharePoint designer workflow: Create Laptop Request Approval Workflow
- Deploy SharePoint 2013 designer workflow into production in SharePoint online
Hope it will be helpful to resolve SharePoint Designer cannot display the item error which comes while editing workflows using SharePoint designer 2013.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)