In this post, I like to discuss one of the major confusion faced by many SharePoint guys.
Yes, you read it right Patch update or cumulative update. We have seen many times user or team who working on Patch Update of SharePoint Farm will be left confused.
Why the build number is not changed.
Your SharePoint Farm Build number is 15.0.4911.1001 and you are now going to install a cumulative update of July 2018 and say it should change to 15.0.5401.1001.
Now, you install the CU on the farm and after installing. Also, doing all the tasks like running PSCONFIG.
You notice that number is not changed to 15.0.5401.1001 instead it is changed to 15.0.5311.1000
You are scratching our head now that where we went wrong. Why has the number not changed to the latest?
NOTE: This is just an example build number can be incorrect. For correct build number. Refer to Microsoft site
So, let me allow to clear some confusion and save some of your hair.
Not all SharePoint patches will update the build number information in manage servers in this farm in central administration.
Only those patches which include schema changes for the SharePoint Config Database update this information.
How to find the build number?
- Go to Central Administration
- Click on System Settings.
- Under servers, manage servers in the farm.
- Click on it and you will get your build number.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Cumulative Updates vs Service Pack vs Public Update vs Critical on-demand fix
- Top 13 SharePoint 2019 new features
- Ports required for SharePoint servers
- Hide attach file button in SharePoint
- How to make SharePoint 2016 site read only?
- SharePoint Customization Examples
- SharePoint hosted app development tutorial
- How to get SharePoint Timer Job History using PowerShell
- Get content database sizes for all web applications in a SharePoint farm using PowerShell
- Comparing SharePoint 2016 Boundaries and limitations with SharePoint 2013/2010
- Get all Users in CSV File from SharePoint Farm using PowerShell
- How to sort folders in SharePoint document library
- Document deletion policy in SharePoint Online Office 365
- Register-SPWorkflowService Workflow XAML failed validation due to the following errors error while registering workflow service SharePoint 2016/2013
I hope this will help you guys. Happy SharePointing!
I am a Microsoft Certified IT Professional with 5+ years of Experience on SharePoint Technologies . Working on SharePoint online, SharePoint 2016,SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2010 and MOSS 2007 Implementation and administration and deployed several projects.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.