In this post, I like to discuss one of the major confusion faced by many SharePoint guys.
Yes, you read it right Patch update or cumulative update. We have seen many times user or team who working on Patch Update of SharePoint Farm will be left confused.
Why the build number is not changed.
Your SharePoint Farm Build number is 15.0.4911.1001 and you are now going to install a cumulative update of July 2018 and say it should change to 15.0.5401.1001.
Now, you install the CU on the farm and after installing. Also, doing all the tasks like running PSCONFIG.
You notice that number is not changed to 15.0.5401.1001 instead it is changed to 15.0.5311.1000
You are scratching our head now that where we went wrong. Why has the number not changed to the latest?
NOTE: This is just an example build number can be incorrect. For correct build number. Refer to Microsoft site
So, let me allow to clear some confusion and save some of your hair.
Not all SharePoint patches will update the build number information in manage servers in this farm in central administration.
Only those patches which include schema changes for the SharePoint Config Database update this information.
How to find the build number?
- Go to Central Administration
- Click on System Settings.
- Under servers, manage servers in the farm.
- Click on it and you will get your build number.
Read few SharePoint administration tutorials:
- How to make SharePoint 2016 site read-only?
- Steps to hide SharePoint list item attach file button in SharePoint online
- Ports required for SharePoint servers
- Cumulative Updates vs Service Pack vs Public Update vs Critical on-demand fix
- Top 13 SharePoint 2019 New Features + Deprecated and Removed Features in SharePoint 2019 Public Preview
I hope this will help you guys. Happy SharePointing!
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)