This blog is related to change the list and library experience in SharePoint online. Microsoft has newly introduced the list view in modern experience. The modern experience is designed to be compelling, flexible, mobile, and easier to use. It is available in SharePoint Online in Office 365. Some modern experiences are available in SharePoint Server 2019.
If you are new to SharePoint modern experience, read SharePoint Online modern experience.
The following experiences are modern by default:
- SharePoint home page in Office 365
- Lists and libraries
- New team site and communication site home pages
- New pages
- Site contents
- Site usage
- Recycle Bin
Existing team site home pages and other site pages like wiki and web part pages are classic experiences.
SharePoint Online change default experience for list and library
Here we will discuss the difference between lists and libraries classic experience and modern experience in SharePoint Online.
Microsoft has provided a option to change the list or library experience in list settings page.
When you’re in your list, (Classic) Click the List Tab and then List Settings, (Modern) choose Settings and then choose List settings.
Click Advanced settings
Scroll down and go to List Experience
Next click on OK button to check the view of list.
List View in Classic experience
List View in New experience
Same settings we can also apply for Document libraries in the SharePoint
In the Document library, click on settings icon and then Library Settings.
Click Advanced settings and then scroll down to List experience.
Choose the experience type here.
This method will effect the changes to that particular library.
We can also find many difference between Classic and modern view in lists and libraries.
The important thing here, If we want to go list settings page in modern experience list then, we can find this option in right side of the ribbon.
The classic list and library experience is bit complex as all the list features are available in different location. However Modern page is definitely easier to use, and allows more advanced filtering and bulk editing .
You may like following SharePoint list and library tutorials:
- Different ways to hide/disable quick edit in a list in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Change default list view style using CSS in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- User Information List in SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint 2013
- Disable or Hide Sync Button at SharePoint Online Site and Document Libraries Level
- How to display more than 3 views in SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library
- Make Title field read-only using SPClientTempltes and JSLink in SharePoint Online
- The document library view cannot be displayed for this web site error in SharePoint Designer 2013
- Download all files from document libraries using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016
- Steps to Change SharePoint 2013/2016 List or Document Library using PowerShell or SharePoint Designer 2013 or using Open with Explorer Option
Hope this SharePoint Online tutorial explains how to switch to new experience in SharePoint Online list or document libraries.
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Tutorials: