This article we will learn step by step by approach to configure “User Profile Service Application (UPSA)” in SharePoint 2016. The steps are similar like User Profile service application configuration in SharePoint 2013.
New to Office 365 SharePoint Online? Get Office 365 Enterprise E3 Subscription & Try out all the features
Here we will also discuss about My Site configuration in SharePoint 2016.
Let’s see the prerequisites:
SharePoint (preferably 2010 or later)
Active Directory (AD)
What is User Profile Service Application (UPSA)?
User Profile service application stores information about users in a central location. UPSA provides a central location where SharePoint administrators can configure and administer various features like:
– User Profiles
This provides the information and various properties about people in the organization.
– My Site Host
This is a Site Collection for hosting My Sites
– My Sites
These are sub sites can be personalized and maintained by individual users. User can upload their project / event documents, photos and links.
– Profile Synchronization
This will import / synchronize the detailed information about user and groups stored in directory services throughout the organization.
In SharePoint 2016 USPA can be configured through 2 ways:
– AD Import
– Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM)
Through this approach we can import the user information / profiles from AD this is one way synchronization.
– We can’t push back the changes made in SharePoint to AD
Ex: Updating profile picture in my Site, user Phone number etc
– We can import user details only from Microsoft AD we can’t import user information from any other providers.
– This doesn’t import user photos from AD
– Doesn’t support BCS import
Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM)
Through this approach we can import the user information from AD or any other provider, we can also post back our changes to AD.
By end of this article you will learn how to configure USPA and My Site host through AD Import.
We need to create My Site Host, this site collection host all user individual my sites. You might be wondering why do we need to create My Site Host to configure UPSA? Along the way you will see the answer for this question
– Log-on to Front End Server with FARM ADMIN account
– Open Central Administration
– Click on Manage Web Application
– Create a new Web Application for My Site
– Name the web Application as “My Site Host Web” for easy identification
– Once the Web Application create top level Site Collection in “My Site Host Web” Application
– Ensure that you selected the right web application
– Enter name of the Site Collection as “MY Site Host” and description
– Select “My Site Host” template under “Enterprise” tab
– Enter Primary and Secondary Site Collection administrators like as any other site collection
– Once the site collection is created check the site collection from “View All Site Collections”
Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site Collections -> View All Site Collections
– Copy the URL of My Site Host which we need it while creating UPSA. In my case it is http://sharepoint2016:9999
Now that we have created the My Site Host, we need to create User Profile Service Application (USPA).
– Click on Manage Service Applications
Central Administration -> Application Management -> Service Applications -> Manage Service Applications
– Click on “User Profile Service Application” under “New”
– This will open a new popup window to create “User Profile Service Application”
– Name the Application and Application as shown below:
– Provide the My Site Host URL which we have copied in Step1
– Do not change any other values and click on create
– Once the application pool is creates refresh the page and you should be able to see as below
– Click on User Profile Service Application created just before, it will take you to Manage Profile Service page. Please notice the number of User Profiles as “0”
– With this we have successfully created UPSA
In this step we will create Connection to AD and import the user profiles.
– Click on Configure Synchronization Connections in Manage ProfileServices
– This will take you to Synchronization Connections page and click on “Create New Connection”.
– Provide all the information “Domain Name” should be accurate one IT team should be able to provide you that
– Click on “Populate containers” that will create a connection to Ad and pulls all the various groups and users information as below:
– If you want to filter any of the groups / users to excluded you can select at this level
– Click OK will create the connection.
– Now that the Connection has been established we can import the user details from AD
Adding SharePoint FARM account in Active Directory Domain Controller.
– Granting access to FARM Admin account in Active Directory
Note: This has to be performed in Domain controller
– Log-on to Domain controller
– Open Active Directory Users and Computers
– Select your domain
– Right click and choose “Delegate Control”
– Then it will open a wizard to add the delegation permissions
– Follow the below screens:
– Click on Next
– Click Add and provide the FARM Account details.
– Select “Create a custom task to Delegate” and click next.
– Ensure that First radio button is selected and click next
– Scroll down in list box and select “Replicating Directory Changes” check box and click next.
– Finish the wizard
This will provide the required access to import user profiles from AD to SharePoint 2016
In this last step we will schedule/perform the user profiles.
User profile import can be 2 ways:
– Full Import
– Incremental Import
– Log-on to Front end server with FARM Admin account
– Open central admin
– Go to “Manage Profile Service: User Profile Service Application”
Central administration -> Application Management -> Service Applications -> Manage Service Applications -> Select the desired “User Profile Service Application”
– Click on “Start Profile Synchronization” under Synchronizations
– Select the required Synchronization and click on as shown in the below screen:
– Once the synchronization is completed you should be able to see the below screen.
– Click on Manage user Profile and type your domain name and you will be able to see all the user details.
That’s all your user profiles are synchronized successfully. Hope this article will be helpful.
FREE SHAREPOINT 2019 PDF
(Installation & Features)