This SharePoint 2016 tutorial, we will discuss how to configure user profile service application in sharepoint 2016. The same steps we can follow to configure user profile service application (UPSA) sharepoint 2013.
We will also see, My Site configuration in SharePoint 2016/2013.
User profile service application SharePoint 2016
User Profile service application stores information about users in a central location. UPSA provides a central location where SharePoint administrators can configure and administer various features like:
- User Profiles: This provides information and various properties of people in the organization.
- My Site Host: This is a Site Collection for hosting My Sites
- My Sites: These are subsites can be personalized and maintained by individual users. Users can upload their project/event documents, photos, and links.
- Profile Synchronization: This will import/synchronize the detailed information about users and groups stored in directory services throughout the organization.
In SharePoint 2016 USPA can be configured through 2 ways:
- Active Directory(AD) Import
- Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM)
Active Directory (AD) Import
Through this approach we can import the user information/profiles from AD this is one-way synchronization.
- We can’t push back the changes made in SharePoint to Active Directory
Ex: Updating profile picture in my Site, user Phone number, etc
- We can import user details only from Microsoft AD we can’t import user information from any other providers.
- This doesn’t import user photos from Active Directory
- Doesn’t support BCS import
Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM)
Through this approach we can import the user information from AD or any other provider, we can also post back our changes to AD.
Configure user profile service application in SharePoint 2016
By the end of this article, you will learn how to configure user profile service application (USPA) and My Site host through AD Import in SharePoint 2016.
We need to create My Site Host, this site collection host all user individual my sites. You might be wondering why do we need to create My Site Host to configure UPSA? Along the way, you will see the answer to this question
- Log-on to Front End Server with a FARM ADMIN account
- Open SharePoint Central Administration
- Click on Manage Web Application
- Create a new Web Application for My Site in SharePoint
- Name the web Application as “My Site Host Web” for easy identification
- Once the Web Application create top-level Site Collection in “My Site Host Web” Application
- Ensure that you selected the right web application
- Enter the name of the Site Collection as “MY Site Host” and description
- Select “My Site Host” template under “Enterprise” tab
- Enter Primary and Secondary Site Collection administrators like as any other site collection
- Once the site collection is created check the site collection from “View All Site Collections”
Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site Collections -> View All Site Collections
- Copy the URL of My Site Host which we need it while creating UPSA. In my case it is http://sharepoint2016:9999
Now that we have created the My Site Host, we need to create a User Profile Service Application (USPA).
- Click on Manage Service Applications
- Central Administration -> Application Management -> Service Applications -> Manage Service Applications
- Click on “User Profile Service Application” under “New”
- This will open a new popup window to create “User Profile Service Application”
- Name the Application and Application as shown below:
- Provide the My Site Host URL which we have copied in Step1
- Do not change any other values and click on create
- Once the application pool is created refresh the page and you should be able to see as below
- Click on User Profile Service Application created just before, it will take you to Manage Profile Service page. Please notice the number of User Profiles as “0”
- With this, we have successfully created the user profile service application in SharePoint.
In this step, we will create Connection to AD and import the user profiles.
- Click on Configure Synchronization Connections in Manage ProfileServices
- This will take you to the Synchronization Connections page and click on “Create New Connection”.
- Provide all the information “Domain Name” should be accurate one IT team should be able to provide you that
- Click on “Populate containers” that will create a connection to Ad and pulls all the various groups and users information as below:
- If you want to filter any of the groups / users to excluded you can select at this level.
- Click OK will create the connection.
- Now that the Connection has been established we can import the user details from AD
Adding SharePoint FARM account in Active Directory Domain Controller.
Granting access to FARM Admin account in Active Directory
Note: This has to be performed in Domain controller
- Log-on to Domain controller
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers
- Select your domain
- Right-click and choose “Delegate Control”
Then it will open a wizard to add the delegation permissions
Follow the below screens:
Click on Next
Click Add and provide the FARM Account details.
Select “Create a custom task to Delegate” and click next.
Ensure that First radio button is selected and click next
Scroll down in list box and select “Replicating Directory Changes” checkbox and click next.
Finish the wizard
This will provide the required access to import user profiles from AD to SharePoint 2016
In this last step, we will schedule/perform the user profiles.
User profile import can be 2 ways:
- Full Import
- Incremental Import
- Log-on to Front end server with FARM Admin account
- Open SharePoint 2016 central admin
- Go to “Manage Profile Service: User Profile Service Application”
- Central administration -> Application Management -> Service Applications -> Manage Service Applications -> Select the desired “User Profile Service Application”
- Click on “Start Profile Synchronization” under Synchronizations
- Select the required Synchronization and click on as shown in the below screen:
Once the synchronization is completed you should be able to see the below screen.
Click on Manage user Profile and type your domain name and you will be able to see all the user details.
That’s all your user profiles are synchronized successfully.
You may like following SharePoint user profile tutorials:
- User profile synchronization service stuck on starting SharePoint 2013/2016
- This user profile application connection is currently not available SharePoint 2013
- Get login user profile properties using Rest API in SharePoint
- Different ways to Retrieve logged in user details in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- SharePoint 2013 Online Retrieve Current user details using SPServices
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned how to configure user profile service application in SharePoint 2016/2013.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019