This SharePoint PowerShell tutorial, we will discuss, how to solve psconfig an update conflict has occurred issue in SharePoint. The issue was coming when I am running the PSConfig file in SharePoint 2013.
SharePoint 2013 psconfig an update conflict has occurred
Issue “PSConfig Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration. SPUpdatedConcurrencyException”
When I was running PSConfig after installing the patches I got the below error:
This error will occur when you try to update sites, tables, and databases because of the race condition ( more than one threads access shared data and try to change it concurrently). However, this is a rare occurrence while you do the SharePoint upgrade.
To fix this concurrency issue, execute the below command in SharePoint 2013 PowerShell window.
$strCmd="start "+""""" /affinity 1 "+"""C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\BIN\Psconfig.exe""" + " -cmd" + " upgrade" + " -inplace" + " b2b" + " -wait" cmd.exe /c $strCmd
This command will ensure that it will execute the psconfig using single core affinity! Follow the below steps to verify the same:
- Open the Task Manager
- See details
- Locate the running process for Psconfig
- Right-click the process and select Set Affinity: you should see only CPU 0 selected
- Let the Psconfig process complete
Once this command is executed successfully, it will show the success message as below.
You may like following PowerShell tutorials:
- PowerShell SharePoint Commands
- Delete content type from SharePoint list using PowerShell
- Delete Hidden Web Application in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- Update User Email ID using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Creating Artifacts in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- Create Subsite using PowerShell in SharePoint Online
- Show hidden features in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- Working with file modification time and date using PowerShell
- Get SharePoint 2013 Server Disk Space using PowerShell
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains how to solve psconfig an update conflict has occurred error.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.