In this SharePoint 2013 administration article, we will discuss about what is managed metadata service application? How to configure managed metadata service application in SharePoint 2013? And how to use SharePoint 2013 managed metadata service application. As part of SharePoint server FARM configuration I would like to list the steps to configure Manage Metadata Service (MMS) application.
What is Managed metadata service (MMS) application, Term Sets and Terms?
1. Log-on to application server with FARM admin account
2. Launch Central administration as “Run as Administrator”
3. Click on New in and select “Manage Metadata Service”
4. Enter Application Name and DB name
5. Configure administrators for MMS application admins
6. Click on Manage as part of ribbon control for newly created Service application
7. Once you click on Manage option it will take you to Term Store Management Tool page to configure all the TermSets and Terms. Click on MMS Application and click on “NewGroup” option.
Note: Though you log-in with FARM administrator account. Unless you add FARM admin as Term Store Administrator you can’t configure terms and Terms.
8. Once you create the Group you can create TermSet by clicking on “New Term Set”
9. As soon as you created TermSet you can add the terms
10. Add the description, add other Labels and also you can see what is the parent TermSet
11. You can add description and contact person for a term set.
12. You can Add description, Owner, stakeholders and Contact details
Note: Contact will be notified with the emails if there are any suggestion on Term Store / Terms
13. With the step 12 we have completed Configuring MMS, now I would like to show you the process how to consume MMS application and Terms.
a) Log on to client site as administrator
b) Site settings -> Term Store Management Tool
14. Create a list and add a new column with the data type as “Managed Metadata” type.
15. You can select default value as shown below
16. While adding new item you can see the suggestions for the field as shown below.
17. As soon as you add the new item it will be shown as below.
Enjoy MMS application and features!!!
Download FREE SharePoint 2019 Installation PDF Guide
This FREE PDF contains, Steps by step guide to install SharePoint 2019 Preview, prerequisites, hardware and software new features. First impression to SharePoint Server 2019 new modern site, modern lists and modern document libraries.
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Online Tutorials: