In this SharePoint 2013 administration article, we will discuss what is managed metadata service application? How to configure managed metadata service application in SharePoint 2013? And how to use SharePoint 2013 managed metadata service application.
As part of the SharePoint server FARM configuration, I would like to list the steps to configure Managed Metadata Service (MMS) application in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Metadata is information about information. Managed Metadata provides a central location to store metadata in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Create managed metadata service application in SharePoint 2013
Log-on to the SharePoint application server with a FARM admin account
Launch Central administration as “Run as Administrator”.
Click on New in and select “Manage Metadata Service”.
Enter Application Name and DataBase name.
Configure administrators for managed metadata service application admins.
Click on Manage as part of ribbon control for newly created Service application.
Once you click on the Manage option it will take you to the Term Store Management Tool page to configure all the TermSets and Terms. Click on the metadata service application and click on the “NewGroup” option.
Note: Though you log-in with a FARM administrator account. Unless you add FARM admin as Term Store Administrator you can’t configure terms and Terms.
Once you create the Group you can create TermSet by clicking on “New Term Set”.
As soon as you created TermSet you can add the terms.
Add the description, add other Labels and also you can see what is the parent TermSet.
You can add a description and contact person for a term set.
You can Add description, Owner, stakeholders, and Contact details
Note: Contact will be notified with the emails if there are any suggestions on the Term Store / Terms.
With this step we have completed creating managed metadata service application, now I would like to show you the process of how to consume MMS application and Terms.
Log on to client site as an administrator, Site settings -> Term Store Management Tool
Create a list and add a new column with the data type as the “Managed Metadata” type.
You can select the default value as shown below.
While adding a new item you can see the suggestions for the field as shown below.
As soon as you add the new item it will be shown below.
You may like following SharePoint service application tutorials:
- Configure Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Excel service to import external database using secure store connection in SharePoint
- Configure Excel Service Application in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Configure user profile service application in SharePoint 2016 step by step tutorial
- The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint cannot complete this action as the Secure Store Shared Service is not responding
- User Profile service application in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Delete Corrupted Service Applications in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 Configuring User Profile Services to import Emails
- Create and Configure Machine Translation Service in SharePoint 2013/2016
Then SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, how to create managed metadata service application in sharepoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)