Same way, we can implement item level permission in the SharePoint 2013/2016/Online list or document library.
Through this item level permission, we can define unique permission to that particular item.
How to enable item level permission in sharepoint
In this sample, I have a SharePoint list name as TestList1 and I want to give item level permission to one of the list items. First, open your SharePoint list in the browser and then select the particular list item and then click on … like below:
This will open the menu, click on “Shared With” as shown in the fig below:
In the Shared With dialog box, it will display to whom the item has been shared. Click on ADVANCED as shown in the fig below:
This will open the PERMISSIONS page. Each item has the permission of the parent by default. To give unique permission we need to Stop inheriting permission from the parent and then we can give unique permission to the item. So click on “Stop Inheriting Permission” as shown in the fig below:
If you are using chrome browser, then Stop Inheriting Permission will come under PERMISSIONS -> Inheritance -> Stop Inheriting Permissions like below:
Then this will display a message saying you are about to create unique permission for this item… Click on OK.
Now you can give permission by clicking on the Grant Permission button from the Ribbon or you can select any group and click on Edit User Permissions if you want to modify any user permissions as shown in the fig below:
Similarly, if you want to remove permission for any particular group, then you can select the group and click on Remove User Permissions. It all depends on your needs.
Disable item level permission in SharePoint
Now if you want to revert back and want to inherit permission level from the parent then simply click on Delete unique permissions as shown in the fig below:
Then it will ask for a confirmation message that you are about to inherit permission from the parent… Click on OK.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Hide SharePoint list columns based on user permissions
- How to Set Permissions in SharePoint Online/2013/2016 Site
- Remove-SPOSite Access denied You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource
- Export user permission in SharePoint using PowerShell
- Workflow App Identifier in SharePoint Online App Permissions
- Get user permissions for a site using CSOM in SharePoint Online
- Hide link left navigation in SharePoint 2013 on permissions basis using JQuery
- Site permissions not working after migrating from moss 2007 to sharepoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013: Check user permission using Rest API
- Show hide div based on user permission using SPServices in SharePoint 2013
- Set different permissions on SharePoint 2013 list views
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned how to enable item level permission in the sharepoint list or document library.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.