In this article, we explore the SharePoint 2013 natively provide the ability to find content within the current list. Created a custom list called “Divisions” and you can see the search box here that allows me to find or search for a specific Division from within the list. This is preventing me from doing an actual “search” using the site search box and receiving all results related to one division from the entire search index.
However, this functionality is not available in every list type. In fact, there are four list types that do not allow this natively. For your reference, here are all of the list types broken down by those that do and do not allow in-list finding /searching.
|Allow in-list finding /searching|
|1. Announcements List|
|2. Calendar List (“All Events” view)|
|3. Contacts List|
|4. Content and Structure Reports List|
|5. Custom List|
|6. Document Library|
|7. Forms Library|
|8. Issue Tracking List|
|9. Links List|
|10. Picture Library|
|11. Promoted Links List (“All Promoted Links” view)|
|12. Reusable Content List|
|13. Site Assets Library|
|14. Site Collection Documents Library|
|15. Site Collection Images Library|
|16. Site Pages Library|
|17. Style Library|
|18. Tasks List|
|19. Workflow Tasks List|
|Do not allow in-list finding /searching|
|1. Discussion Board List|
|2. MicroFeed List|
|3. Survey List|
|4. Wiki Pages Library|
You may like following SharePoint 2013 search tutorials:
- Documents are not showing up in Search Results in SharePoint 2013
- How to customize search results look by using result types and display templates in SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2016/2013?
- Disable list or libraries to appear in search result SharePoint Online Office 365
- Draft items not appearing in search results in SharePoint 2013
- Prevent Site Content to appear in SharePoint 2013 search results
- Steps to create a result source and use custom result source in content search web part in SharePoint online
- Create a custom search result page and add custom search result page to SharePoint Online Search Center
- How to define Search scopes in SharePoint 2013 Using Result Sources?
- [Fixed] SharePoint 2013/2016/Online: Find an Item List search box does not return results
Hope this SharePoint 2013 tutorial helps to find In-list or find searches in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Solutions. I am currently working on Sharepoint 2010, MOSS 2007, Sharepoint 2013,Sharepoint 2013 App Dev, C#, ASP.NET, and SQL Server 2008.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.