Recently when I am searching an item through Find an Item search box in a SharePoint 2013 list, it did not give me any search result. But in the list, some items are presented with the particular keyword. Here we will see Find an item search box does not return results in SharePoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online.
The Find an Item in place search box, allows users to quickly search for items or documents inside the list or library in SharePoint. To see the search results, we do not need to navigate to any other search result page. This is how the Find an Item in place search box looks like in list or document libraries.
SharePoint Find an Item List search box does not return results
To solve Find an Item List search box does not return results in SharePoint follow below steps:
Open the SharePoint 2013/2016/Online list and then go to the List settings page. And then click on Advanced Settings. In the Advanced Settings page, Go to the Search section and then select “Yes” in the Allow items from this list to appear in search results? radio button.
And if possible click on “Reindex List” button in the Reindex List section in the same List Advanced Settings page. Once you reindex list, we have to wait for some time.
The other thing you can try is to go to the List settings and then click on Versioning Settings. In the Versioning Settings page Select “Yes” for “Require content approval for submitted items?” in the Content Approval section. Read more on SharePoint 2013 Online content approval.
Another important thing we have to follow if the above steps does not solve the issue.
The column needs to be searchable if you want to search for content in the list or library. For this, we need to create the managed properties and map the crawled properties of the columns in the custom list. You can also check out this article for a little more information.
Apart from this, we need to make sure that the items should have been crawled and indexed properly, If you are using SharePoint On-premises version, you can start a full crawl.
You can also read an article on SharePoint search managed properties.
You may like following SharePoint 2013 search tutorials:
- Documents are not showing up in Search Results in SharePoint 2013
- How to customize search results look by using result types and display templates in SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2016/2013?
- Disable list or libraries to appear in search result SharePoint Online Office 365
- Draft items not appearing in search results in SharePoint 2013
- Prevent Site Content to appear in SharePoint 2013 search results
- Steps to create a result source and use custom result source in content search web part in SharePoint online
- Create a custom search result page and add custom search result page to SharePoint Online Search Center
- How to define Search scopes in SharePoint 2013 Using Result Sources?
Hope this SharePoint tutorial helps to solve Find an Item List search box does not return results issue in SharePoint Online/2013/2016.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.