In Part One of the same article we have configured the Secure Store Service, here in this part we will continue exploring BDC Service with the Creation of External Content Type and External List in SharePoint 2013.
Create External Content Type SharePoint 2013
1. Start the SharePoint Designer, click on Open Site in SharePoint Designer, then give the URL of the site in the browse window.
2. Your site is opened in SP Designer in the Left Navigation click on External content Type
3. In the New External Content Type window give a desired Name, Display Name, Namespace and External System for external Content Type. To select the External System click on the link “click here to discover external data sources.”
4. Initially no Data Source will be present in the Data Source Explorer, So click on Add Connection, In the External data Source Type Selection window select SQL Server.
5. For SQL Server Connection give the Database Server, Database Name, Name of the connection, select the connection mode as windows Identity and give the correct Secure Store Application ID.
6. Give the credentials for BCS Secure Store Target Application ID.
7. Now the Data Source you created connection with will be displayed in the Data Source Explorer. We explore the database to get the Table or View or Routine on which we need to create operations for the External Content Type.
8. Here we perform only read operation, for that Right Click on the Table or View or Routine you want to create operation and from the list select New Read Item Operation.
9. For Read Item Set the Operation Properties: The Operation Name, DisplayName, Type will be populated automatically. The initial two values can be edited to their desired values. Click Next to proceed.
10. For Read Item Set the Input Parameters Configuration: Here you select a particular Data Source Element, and Check the Map to Identifier. Click Next to proceed.
11. For Read Item Set the Return Parameters Configuration: Here you again select a Data Source Element and make sure you Check all the elements you want to display, and in the Properties Check the Map to Identifier. Click Finish to proceed.
12. Once you have created the New Read Item Operation, It is advisable to go for Read List Operation as well. Right Click on the same Table or View you want to create operation and from the list select New Read List Operation.
13. For Read List Set the Operation Properties: The Operation Name, Display Name, Type will be populated automatically. The initial two values can be edited to their desired values. Click Next to proceed.
14. For Read List Set the Filter Parameters Configuration: Here we can Add Filter to the list if required any or else click Next to proceed.
15. For Read List Set the Return Parameters Configuration: Here you again select a Data Source Element and make sure you Check all the elements the way we did in Read Item Return Parameters Configuration Click Finish to proceed.
16. The above steps will create the External Content Type and then to give Permissions to the same Go to Central Administration > Application Management > Manage service applications > Click Business Data Connectivity Service,
17. Select the created External Content Type and click Set Object Permissions.
18. Click Add and give the Object Permission to All Users (windows), and select the Level of Permissions to be given to them below and click OK.
19. Select the created External Content Type and click Set Metadata Store Permissions.
20. Click Add and give the Metadata Store Permissions to All Users (windows), and select the Level of Permissions to be given to them below and click OK.
Read some SharePoint 2013 tutorials below:
- Steps to create Calendar Overlays Using Multiple Calendar Apps in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 Create and Customize Custom Left or Quick launch Navigation
- SharePoint 2013 Read Outlook Emails and Add Email Content in SharePoint List
Create External List using SharePoint 2013 designer:
1. In SP Designer on the Left Navigation click on External content Type, Select the Recently created External Content Type, and in the Ribbon click External List.
2. Give a Name and Description to your External List and click OK,
3. Now on the Left Navigation click on Lists and Libraries to see your External List in the External List section.
4. Open the External List in the browser. PEACE.
In this part we have explored the BDC with establishing SQL Server Connection, Creation of External Content Type, Setting Permissions and Creation of External List.
I am Akash Kumhar a SharePoint Consultant.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.