Server request timed out. Please try again or the network connection with the server has been lost
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
Problem Description: SharePoint shows network break/unknown error very frequently (on average 3 on 5 days in week. The client ends up trying the file upload 4-5 times to do it (each iteration being of 10 min. each)
Error Message: Server request timed out. Please try again or the network connection with the server has been lost. Please try again.
- Checked how big the file is? It’s around 25 MB. We have an upload limit of 100 MB in our farm.
- What is the name of the Library name?
- How is the client trying to upload the file? The client was using both upload document” or “upload multiple documents” option for file upload on the site.
- Tried adding an entry in the host file and checked and no go.
- Removed the user from all people still the user gets all the options and is able to get to the option of upload, did not find the user in any DL.
- Added the use as a site collection admin still no go.
- Cleared the cache still the same.
- Added back the permissions removed from the user.
- Ran the office diags no go.
- It works from a different machine.
- On the other machine in the first document library, it works always. On the second library, it works sometimes.
- Cleaned the temp folder which was 680 MB and could upload the file for the first time, second, the transfer rate he experiences in upload is about 20 kbps whereas other colleagues are able to transfer files to SharePoint at about 150+ kbps.
- Suggested client that transfer rate could also depend upon the network speed or the internet bandwidth. And local LAN support could assist him better in increasing the transfer rate.
- Tried uploading the 14 MB file from ‘Upload multiple file’ option. And waited for 10 Min and get an error message ‘The network connection with the server has been lost. Please try again.’
- Noticed while uploading the file the transfer rate of the upload was 40 kbps, and the client did notice the upload transfer rate as 150 kbps for his other colleagues.
- The network card is configured to run on 100 Mbps.
- Tried to upload a little less sized file of 9 MB on another site. It also did take the same amount of time.
- Working on another machine for the client doesn’t take much time to upload the file for one site.
- It seems it is related to the network bandwidth issue.
Changing the LAN settings to be 100 Mbps full duplex it makes the things working fine. It was set to 10 Mbps something. To change the settings go to My Computer (right click properties)-> Hardware -> Device Manager -> LAN settings.
Read some SharePoint tutorials below:
- Blob Cache in SharePoint 2010
- Fetch all users to a custom list using event receiver in SharePoint
- Move document from one site to another in SharePoint 2010
- Different Ways to enable User Information List in SharePoint 2013
- How to make SharePoint 2016 site read only?
- SharePoint 2010 development with Visual Studio 2010
- SharePoint 2013/2010 Managed Path Tutorial
- Disable event firing on SharePoint list item update in SharePoint
- There are no items to show in this view of the listname list in SharePoint 2010
- SharePoint 2010: Cascading Dropdown for Lookup with more than 20 items
- SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Edit Item or Display Item
- Calculate difference between two dates Excluding Weekend and Holiday date in SharePoint 2013
- Change URL of List or document Library using SharePoint Designer 2010
Applies to: SharePoint 2007, SharePoint Server 2010.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.