SharePoint Self-Service Site Creation is a feature which is enabled by administrators and allows users to create their own top-level Web site. Microsoft has introduced the “Self-Service Site Collection” feature from SharePoint 2010 onwards.
In this SharePoint 2013 tutorial, I would like to discuss about few important aspects:
- What is the “Self-Service Site Collection” feature in SharePoint?
- How does “Self-Service Site Collection” helps the users in SharePoint?
- How to enable “Self-Service Site Collection” feature in SharePoint 2013/2016?
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
In a SharePoint site, admin group members can create their own subsites, lists, libraries and also they can manage permissions as per the business needs.
Self-Service Site Creation is a feature which is enabled by administrators and allows users to create their own top-level Web site. User does not need administrator permissions on the web application server / virtual server, once this feature is enabled by FARM administrator any user part of the site can create the top level site collection.
Advantages of Self-Service Site Collection
As we all know SharePoint is meant for collaboration and document management with high security to data. In bigger business units sometimes the user has to create a separate high-level site to collaborate with all the other business units and clients. It will be helpful to the user to create an individual top-level site without approaching an administrator.
Since this can have to be enabled in central administration, only FARM administrator can do this. Follow the below steps to enable this feature:
Log – on to the SharePoint application server with a FARM admin account. Open SharePoint Central Administration, (Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> SharePoint 2013 Central Administration).
Activating feature from ribbon control
Configuring from Application Management. From SharePoint 2013 central administration, click on Application Management, then click on Configure self-service site creation.
Once you configure / enable this feature any user from that site collection can create site collection using:
<<site collection URL>>_/layouts/15/scsignup.aspx Ex: http://sharepoint13:12345_/layouts/15/scsignup.aspx
Once it is configured, non admin users can create site collection in SharePoint 2013/2016.
You can see that it is not a sub site:
Now if we log on to central admin we can see this as site collection under http://sharepoint13:12345 web application.
You may like following SharePoint 2013 tutorials
- Extending Web Applications in SharePoint 2013
- How to create web application SharePoint 2016?
- Delete Hidden Web Application in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- Check Anonymous access for all web applications in SharePoint
- Comparing a Web Application and Site Collection limits in SharePoint 2016 with SharePoint 2013 2010 2007
- Get content database sizes for all web applications in a SharePoint farm using PowerShell
- Change site collection title, description, logo, and site collection administrator in SharePoint
- Copy list items from one site collection to another programmatically using CSOM in SharePoint Online
- 3 Different ways to Change Site Collection URL in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- Self-Service Site Collection in SharePoint 2013
- Create Site Collection in SharePoint online using PowerShell
Hope this SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, what is self service site creation in SharePoint 2013/2016? How we can enable self service site creation SharePoint 2013/2016.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.